You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Animations in Affinity Photo/Designer

16 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

I speak for myself alone, probably not.

pity - it would be nice to animate something that has already been done - when I ask my friends asking why they use an expensive Adobe package, if Affinity is more efficient, cheaper and simply better - from most I hear that it is the ability to animate them :)

The animator in PS is quite poor (and has an incomplete,  messy workflow) compared to anything specialized (usually, free and pro versions available..or free-open source) like Moho (debut or pro), Spine, Toonboom, Spriter (and 2), Synfig(100% free), Nima, Pencil 2D, Animation paper (PAP) , Blender (my fav) and its Grease Pencil feature (or 3d model/animate and toon render), Opentoonz (free),  CACANi, etc....I know Krita and Clip Studio Paint EX (Pro is limited to 24 frames, no way...) do have their animation modules, but imo, is a way to clutter an interface, and widen too much the scope....Even so, if I'd have to choose, I'd RATHER animate with krita's or Clip Studio Paint EX's modules than with PS's.... but heck, I guess there's ppl for everything.. If using the adobe cloud stuff (if so inclined) Animate CC and/or After Effects are so much better for the job.  And if is all pixel art, for old skool (great low res games) you don't go better than with Aseprite (my own favorite and dirty cheap),  Gale (free, cheap for commercial), Promotion NG, or even the surprisingly effective and powerful (doesn't look like that in a first glance) Piskel ( www.piskelapp.com  ) which is fully online, so, cross platform. Not to  mention that u can use many of the before mentioned high res animation pro tools to -somehow- do animated pixel art, too (at least with those having raster tools).

There are several fronts to attend waaay more important and even crucial, IMO, than expand the natural scope of a 2D vectors editor and a 2D raster static image editor/photo editing package. I very sincerely recommend anyone to use one (geez, is not like there's not enough flavors to pick from...) of that bazillion of great apps to make animation, and combine those  ( they CAN'T do stuff that AD/AP do in their specialty areas, not at that depth by any means) with Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer. Once you get to do really advanced stuff, you will see yourself combining animation exported files with advanced 2D raster editors, composition tools, 3D software, vector editors and etc.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

1 hour ago, SrPx said:

The animator in PS is quite poor (and has an incomplete,  messy workflow) compared to anything specialized (usually, free and pro versions available..or free-open source) like Moho (debut or pro), Spine, Toonboom, Spriter (and 2), Synfig(100% free), Nima, Pencil 2D, Animation paper (PAP) , Blender (my fav) and its Grease Pencil feature (or 3d model/animate and toon render), Opentoonz (free),  CACANi, etc....I know Krita and Clip Studio Paint EX (Pro is limited to 24 frames, no way...) do have their animation modules, but imo, is a way to clutter an interface, and widen too much the scope....Even so, if I'd have to choose, I'd RATHER animate with krita's or Clip Studio Paint EX's modules than with PS's.... but heck, I guess there's ppl for everything.. If using the adobe cloud stuff (if so inclined) Animate CC and/or After Effects are so much better for the job.  And if is all pixel art, for old skool (great low res games) you don't go better than with Aseprite (my own favorite and dirty cheap),  Gale (free, cheap for commercial), Promotion NG, or even the surprisingly effective and powerful (doesn't look like that in a first glance) Piskel ( www.piskelapp.com  ) which is fully online, so, cross platform. Not to  mention that u can use many of the before mentioned high res animation pro tools to -somehow- do animated pixel art, too (at least with those having raster tools).

There are several fronts to attend waaay more important and even crucial, IMO, than expand the natural scope of a 2D vectors editor and a 2D raster static image editor/photo editing package. I very sincerely recommend anyone to use one (geez, is not like there's not enough flavors to pick from...) of that bazillion of great apps to make animation, and combine those  ( they CAN'T do stuff that AD/AP do in their specialty areas, not at that depth by any means) with Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer. Once you get to do really advanced stuff, you will see yourself combining animation exported files with advanced 2D raster editors, composition tools, 3D software, vector editors and etc.

I totally agree with this. Using photoshop for animations is like making pictures pressing manually on your photo camera instead of using a video camera. Yes, you can make some video with it, but it's not really the way to go. After Effects or Animate CC on the other hand would be the way to create animations with Adobe. But you can't compare those VFX and animation tools with a designtool like Photo or Designer.  @SrPx mentioned some great alternatives to Adobe's animation tools and some of them are pretty great, like Spine, and they are a lot better than Photoshop for animation.