You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Have a "New" option for the Selection Brush

Am not sure why the rectangular marquee has a "New" option, but the selection brush hasn't.  It is not a big deal to choose new by changing to the rectangular marquee when you

want to move a selection area (but not the content), however would be simpler if it could all be done from the selection brush.

Jafa - Just Another Fantastic Aucklander

(Jim)

Windows 11

Affinity Photo 2.4

Lightroom 6

Nik Collection and Topaz Denoise AI

Intel Core i7 9700K @ 3.60GHz    32 °C
Coffee Lake 14nm Technology

For now, since the Selection Brush doesn't have the "New" option, instead of switching to the Marquee tool it may be easier to simply type ctrl+d (Windows) or cmd+d (Mac) which are the default shortcuts for Select > Deselect.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

The ESC key will also remove the selection without having to change tools

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

But, Walt & Carl, this has nothing to do with select/deselect, it is about moving a selection to put it into another area, without copying the underlying data in the initial area.  Maybe you don't know that this is possible?

(Jim)

Windows 11

Affinity Photo 2.4

Lightroom 6

14 hours ago, Jaffa said:

But, Walt & Carl, this has nothing to do with select/deselect, it is about moving a selection to put it into another area, without copying the underlying data in the initial area.  Maybe you don't know that this is possible?

Sorry, I missed the part about moving a selection outline in your post.

But I don't think it's having New as an option that allows that for the marquee tools. It's simply that the marquee tools allow you to move their selection outlines, and the Selection Brush doesn't.

If you want to move a selection outline you made with the Selection Brush, just press V to choose the Move tool, move the selection, then press V again to get back to the Selection Brush. (Sorry; I had the wrong layer selected.)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

But I don't think it's having New as an option that allows that for the marquee tools. It's simply that the marquee tools allow you to move their selection outlines, and the Selection Brush doesn't.

Hi Walt - but that's the best way I have found to move the selection outline, by using "new".  Got that from the learning I did in Photoshop and transferred that knowledge to Affinity Photo.  It works fine.

6 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

If you want to move a selection outline you made with the Selection Brush, just press V to choose the Move tool, move the selection, then press V again to get back to the Selection Brush.

Using the Move tool does not move the selection outline, Walt.  When I have got the selection outline to the area I want,  I do a Ctrl+j to copy -- and then use the Move tool to move the copied area back to cover the initial selection area. Job done!

(Jim)

Windows 11

Affinity Photo 2.4

Lightroom 6

12 hours ago, Jaffa said:

Using the Move tool does not move the selection outline, Walt.

Yes, it does. I tried it just before posting, and repeated the experiment again after reading your reply. The Move Tool will move a selection outline created by the Selection Brush Tool.

Sorry; I had the wrong layer selected.

-- Walt
PC:

@walt.farrell

I think the OP just wants to move the marching ants rather than move the pixels the marching ants contain.

I cant get it to do this with just the Move Tool either - this just moves the selected pixels for me.

The only way I can just get the marching ants to move is to switch to the Move Tool, press Q (quick mask), move the "selection" then press Q again

But the OP's original workaround is probably just as quick if not quicker

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

11 minutes ago, carl123 said:

@walt.farrell

I think the OP just wants to move the marching ants rather than move the pixels the marching ants contain.

I cant get it to do this with just the Move Tool either - this just moves the selected pixels for me.

The only way I can just get the marching ants to move is to switch to the Move Tool, press Q (quick mask), move the "selection" then press Q again

But the OP's original workaround is probably just as quick if not quicker

Thanks. I didn't notice in my test that I had an adjustment layer selected. Once I selected the pixel layer my suggestion no longer worked.

-- Walt
PC: