You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have a windows 10 update 1809 - x64

My Affinity Photo does not work, I did a clean installation of windows and I installed the program normally by the Microsoft Store, however when opening the program it loads completely and it opens, and it closes without any kind of report, I already tried to reinstall the program, but it did not work. Can someone help me?

• Staff

Hi leandrohartmann,

Welcome to the forums :)

Please open your start menu and navigate to Affinity Photo, then Right click on the app and select App Settings. In the next window you should see multiple options, one of which is repair and the other reset. Please try to repair the software first, and if this does not help then reset.

After doing this, what happens if you right click on an image file and select 'open with Affinity Photo'? Does the image/software load correctly?

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

20 hours ago, Dan C said:

Hi leandrohartmann,

Welcome to the forums :)

Please open your start menu and navigate to Affinity Photo, then Right click on the app and select App Settings. In the next window you should see multiple options, one of which is repair and the other reset. Please try to repair the software first, and if this does not help then reset.

After doing this, what happens if you right click on an image file and select 'open with Affinity Photo'? Does the image/software load correctly?

I tried all two alternatives: repair and reinstall, the same thing happens, it loads and opens normally, but seconds after opening it closes instantly without showing anything. I have the Affintiy designer installed and it has the same problem.

Incredibly the tip that advised me worked, if I open a photo directly the program stays open and working. What will be the problem of opening normally?

• Staff

Thank you for trying that and I'm sorry to hear it hasn't helped. Do you have any other programs installed from the Microsoft store? Do these open/run correctly?

Please read through the following thread, do you have any of these programs installed currently?

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

5 hours ago, Dan C said:

Thank you for trying that and I'm sorry to hear it hasn't helped. Do you have any other programs installed from the Microsoft store? Do these open/run correctly?

Please read through the following thread, do you have any of these programs installed currently?

First of all I thank you for your help!

I do not have any of these programs installed. All Microsoft store programs work normally.

I believe I have discovered the source of the problem, it is on the welcome screen. Both the affinity designer and Affinity photo close when this screen is opened to load some news, so if I open some file directly in the program it does not close and it works normally.

Sounds like a splash screen deny security action is performed and some sort of DLL Assemblies security problem occurs when the welcome screen tries to show up/load in the contents. - Usually the welcome screens of the Affinity apps can be forced to be permanantly dismissed (via button click) during app startups, but this would probably imply that the screen first will fully load and reacts to button press events.- Don't know if there is some application startup command line option available, which would prevent showing up the startup screen, but there sure is somewhere a registry or app prefs setting entry for that setting available.

However, usually it shouldn't behave like that and it might be that the MS Store versions do behave security wise differently or the Win OS security settings are blocking the connection to load in the welcome screen contents here, which in turn shuts down the apps.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• Staff

No problem at all :)

How strange, I can't replicate this behaviour on a Windows 10 machine here, but there's an easy way to test with your PC.

Please open an image into Affinity Photo, then select Help>Welcome. This should open the welcome panel, does this crash the program? If not, there is a tick box in the bottom left of the panel that will stop it from showing at launch. Untick this box (if possible), then close and re-open the app. The startup screen should not show, does the app still crash?

Thanks for your answers.

Dan_C - Yes, I tried with the program already open behind any image, try to go to help> welcome screen, however when it opens the program closes again, I can not uncheck the box to not show the screen anymore. Even though I'm fast and click the box it does not accept the command because the program was already locked. I think if I could, it would work.

V_Kyr - As it was said, it is as if the programs were blocked to access the internet to download news, then they simply lock and shut, were working well, I do not know why this happens.

I do not have enough knowledge to modify the program log files to disable the welcome screen.

• Staff

Thanks for that, we're a little closer to solving this. Could you please confirm if you're running any third party antivirus or firewall software?

The welcome panel that shows is essentially a live webpage in Affinity, and it sounds as though an external program is blocking this and terminating the program.

• Staff

I wasn't aware of this, but I've done some research and it certainly does seem to be the case. We can't replicate this on our build here, but it appears to only be affecting some users.

Could you please try following the suggestions at the following link? Hopefully this should resolve the issue :) 

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/microsoft-edge-and-other-microsoft-store-apps/75ac54dd-cd56-41d8-a205-7948e54f39be

• Staff

Hi leandrohartmann,

In addition to what Dan C has said above, it looks like this MS issue is only affecting users with Realtek network adaptors. Could you open up Device Manager and attach a screenshot with the 'Network adaptors' section expanded please?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

@Nasmat

Your post would be better as a starter of a new thread, I think, since your question is really nothing to do with the subject of this thread which is about APh failing to open properly.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

• Staff

I'm sorry to hear this, I believe there is a patch update build due from Microsoft shortly to fix the issues created in 1809 so you may want to wait and update your version of Windows when available.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi.  I just bought Affinity Photo and Designer, and I'm having the same problem on Windows 7.  It just starts and crashes. After reading this thread, I tried opening an image directly, and that worked.  So I think it's that splash screen.  Just out of curiosity, why is it pulling from the web?  I'd like to be able to use my software even if my connection is down.

Reformatting my computer and having to reinstall everything would be a highly problematic solution.  I'm hoping that someone has a better suggestion.

• Staff

Hi kobaltkween,

Welcome to the forums :)

The Welcome screen is a live feed which is used to promote the free content packs, as well as the other Affinity apps and content on our store - however an internet connection is not required, and the app will still load in offline mode.

Could you please confirm for me, how far into the loading process does the app get before crashing? Do you see any error message on screen at all?

To turn off the Welcome screen before opening the app, please go to Windows Run (Windows Key + R) then paste the following string and press OK:

%AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\Settings

In this window you should see Application.xml, please right-click this and open it using Notepad.

You should see the 4th line in the document as follows -

<ShowWelcomeScreen2>True</ShowWelcomeScreen2>

Here, simply change the True to False then go to File>Save.
Close the Notepad editor and open Affinity Photo - does it now load as expected? If so, you can repeat the same process for Designer in the following folder:

%AppData%\Affinity\Designer\1.0\Settings

I hope this helps!

Thanks so much for the welcome and the reply!

Nope, unfortunately, no error message.  It shows the little graphic splash with an image and loading information like, "Loading fonts..", pulls up the basic app window, and closes in about 1, 1.5 seconds.  

Woot!  That does help!  Thanks so very much! Yay!

I assume I can do the same thing with Designer?  Ooop, nope, apparently not.  There's nothing in settings there, and I'm still having the same problem there.

Edited by kobaltkween

• Staff

Many thanks for letting me know this has fixed your Photo version and my sincerest apologies for the delayed response.

Is your Designer Settings folder completely empty? This would indicate the app has thus far been unable to write these files.

I'd like to try resetting Designer to it's default settings to hopefully force these files to be created. You can reset your app back to its default settings by holding down the CTRL key while launching the app. When the Clear User Data window appears, click Select All and then Clear.

The app should now open - please do keep me updated :) 

• Staff

@kobaltkween - my absolute sincerest apologies for the delayed response here, it appears as though I missed this notification.

I'm going to need a copy of your Event Viewer log in order to see why Designer is failing to initiate here. Could you please -

1. Open Windows Run and type the following - eventvwr
2. In the window that opens, select the Windows Logs drop-down list on the left and then Applications
3. With the Applications logs selected, navigate to the right side of the window and select Save All Events As ... and save them as .evtx (the default option).
4. Attach this saved file to your reply here.

Many thanks in advance :)