silverdust

Convert shape or curve to picture frame

Is there a way to convert a shape or curve to picture frame. I was designing a mockup in Designer and I wanted to import an image into a custom sized rectangle and have it adjustable within the shape to show parts of the image I want. Any good suggestions on how to do this? And if none, can this be added to Designer?

Designer doesn't (yet, at least) have Picture Frames.

However, you should be able to

1. draw your rectangle, then
  2. use File > Place to add your image as a layer above the rectangle, dragging the cursor to make the image the size you want, then
  3. using the Layers panel, nest the image into the rectangle.

That will clip the image to the size of the rectangle. You can then click on the image with the Move Tool and slide it around within the rectangle.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.239), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.464 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.4464 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.458 Beta

Hello Silverdust,

Other method: draw your shape, keep it selected, "Layer", "Insertion", "Inside", then "File", "Place" and choose the picture to place into the frame. Place it on the frame and move it so that only the desired parts are shown. The parts outside the frame will not be visible.

@silverdust, if you don't want a mask and you won't have to move the photo layout inside the frame later, you can place the photo under the frame, select both, "Convert to Curves", "Expand Stroke" and do a Boolean operation "Divide". Then delete the part of the photo that is outside the frame and group the rest.

Is this still the case as I read reference to picture frames . But cant see any tutorials on how to create them.

On 7/14/2019 at 5:23 AM, ukracer said:

Is this still the case as I read reference to picture frames . But cant see any tutorials on how to create them.

Picture frames are a feature of Publisher, not Designer.

On 7/17/2019 at 7:06 PM, fde101 said:

Picture frames are a feature of Publisher, not Designer.

True, but Designer is also an UI tool (due to the presence of the Constraints and Assets feature that comes with iOS UI elements preinstalled), so it's a bit weird to not have that feature in as a tool (The feature is present, you can open a publisher doc that has picture frames and they'll work properly, you just can't make new ones. I guess you *could* create a new doc in publisher, create a picture frame, open that doc in Designer and add that to the assets panel. I haven't tested this but it should work, unless it loses its picture frame features once it's in Assets).

Mădălin Vlad
Graphic Designer