You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Convert shape or curve to picture frame

Is there a way to convert a shape or curve to picture frame. I was designing a mockup in Designer and I wanted to import an image into a custom sized rectangle and have it adjustable within the shape to show parts of the image I want. Any good suggestions on how to do this? And if none, can this be added to Designer?

Designer doesn't (yet, at least) have Picture Frames.

However, you should be able to

1. draw your rectangle, then
  2. use File > Place to add your image as a layer above the rectangle, dragging the cursor to make the image the size you want, then
  3. using the Layers panel, nest the image into the rectangle.

That will clip the image to the size of the rectangle. You can then click on the image with the Move Tool and slide it around within the rectangle.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hello Silverdust,

Other method: draw your shape, keep it selected, "Layer", "Insertion", "Inside", then "File", "Place" and choose the picture to place into the frame. Place it on the frame and move it so that only the desired parts are shown. The parts outside the frame will not be visible.

@silverdust, if you don't want a mask and you won't have to move the photo layout inside the frame later, you can place the photo under the frame, select both, "Convert to Curves", "Expand Stroke" and do a Boolean operation "Divide". Then delete the part of the photo that is outside the frame and group the rest.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/17/2019 at 7:06 PM, fde101 said:

Picture frames are a feature of Publisher, not Designer.

True, but Designer is also an UI tool (due to the presence of the Constraints and Assets feature that comes with iOS UI elements preinstalled), so it's a bit weird to not have that feature in as a tool (The feature is present, you can open a publisher doc that has picture frames and they'll work properly, you just can't make new ones. I guess you *could* create a new doc in publisher, create a picture frame, open that doc in Designer and add that to the assets panel. I haven't tested this but it should work, unless it loses its picture frame features once it's in Assets).

Mădălin Vlad
Graphic Designer