Availability of Old-Style figures not reflected in Typography pane

Hi,

I am making very, very extensive use of the beautiful font CONCOURSE from MBType.com. The font provides the full range of OTF features, including true old-style figure alternates for the numbers. I'm able to use all those features seamlessly in other Mac programs.

In Affinity, however, I can't seem to get the Characters tab to recognize that Concourse provides old-style figures. As a result, my numbers are lining style, which look pretty awful in my particular design. Since the OSFs work great in all other Mac apps, I'm reporting this as a bug in Affinity.

I've attached a screen shot from TextEdit, showing that the OSFs show up in the system Typography pane and work just fine. Also is a screen shot from Affinity showing nothing under the Typography panel that suggests the OpenType features are recognized.

HELP!

Thanks,

Stever1215789707_ScreenShot2018-10-23at17_39_03.thumb.png.778666a3399e60e7239818c8d46191cc.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-23 at 17.38.06.png

Hi, @MEB. Thank you for the quick reply! Text ▸ Show Typography shows the options for small caps, but not for Figure Style, even when I check "Show all font features." Happy to send along a copy of the OTF file if perhaps the font file is non-standard, but I don't want to post it publicly since it's a purchased professional font.

1286087842_ScreenShot2018-10-25at00_21_35.thumb.png.a1b5a516a01e85e5a947121c3fa0e361.png

Go to "Alternates" (2 above "Figures") and mess about with All Alternates. You'll find it in 1, 2 or 3. Varies by font.Have a string of numbers highlighted to observe.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.6

Affinity Designer 1.9.3 | Affinity Photo 1.9.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.9.3 | Beta versions as they appear.

@Old Bruce and @MEB Whoa!!! This is something of a clusterf*ck. I just created a new file to demonstrate the problem ... and in the new file, the full set of figure options shows up!!!

Upon further experimentation, it seems if I remove all styles from the text, the typographic options show up. I can reproduce the problem with my files, but haven't been able to figure out how to re-create it starting from an empty file. I've trimmed down my file as much as possible—I've deleted all snapshots and all layers except the text layer. For reasons I completely don't understand, it's still 100Mbs, so far too large to attach to this message.

You can download the file here: https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZvTt97ZhcDaDEFHYumj1cPYMzkdALRHeapV

You can watch a 3-minute screencast of me reproducing the bug here: 

Thanks very much,

Stever

24 minutes ago, ProducerBoy said:

@Old Bruce and @MEB Whoa!!! This is something of a clusterf*ck. I just created a new file to demonstrate the problem ... and in the new file, the full set of figure options shows up!!!

Upon further experimentation, it seems if I remove all styles from the text, the typographic options show up. I can reproduce the problem with my files, but haven't been able to figure out how to re-create it starting from an empty file. I've trimmed down my file as much as possible—I've deleted all snapshots and all layers except the text layer. For reasons I completely don't understand, it's still 100Mbs, so far too large to attach to this message.

You can download the file here: https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZvTt97ZhcDaDEFHYumj1cPYMzkdALRHeapV

You can watch a 3-minute screencast of me reproducing the bug here: ...

Thanks very much,

Stever

I haven't thought to remove all styles before, thanks for that tip.

Regarding the enormous file size try Save As... I get more realistic results with many different software packages doing that. 

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.6

Affinity Designer 1.9.3 | Affinity Photo 1.9.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.9.3 | Beta versions as they appear.

Hi ProducerBoy,
You have the language of the text int the Character panel set to None. This is the reason why those features are not appearing in the Typography panel. Set it to English (or the appropriate language for the text in question) and they should become available in the Typography panel.

4 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi ProducerBoy,
You have the language of the text int the Character panel set to None. This is the reason why those features are not appearing in the Typography panel. Set it to English (or the appropriate language for the text in question) and they should become available in the Typography panel.

Thanks @MEB This will help me too.