You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Find & Replace Tool for Affinity Designer

Hi,

Before publisher arrived I was designing menus in Affinity Designer.  I spent alot of time scrawling through text to find a particular word as there isn’t a Find & Replace tool. With the arrival of Affinity Publisher this feature is available which is fantastic but it would be really helpful to have this feature in Affinity Designer too as it does really help to speed up the job when searching through lots of text. I know I can now design menus in Publisher but while it’s still in Beta mode and for older menus that need updating in an Affinity Designer doc it would be good to have this option. 

Thanks for your help. 

UkeyD

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

And broader illustrative uses of find and replace like find stroke width so that you can alter all stroke weights in one hit without searching individual objects.

Mac Studio M1 Max 32GB RAM running Sonoma 14.2.1
ASUS ProArt screen and Hewlett Packard HD second screen. 
Affinity Suite 2.4.0 and Beta releases

• 1 year later...

If you have Publisher, you can go File > Edit in Publisher. Then search/replace, then go back to Designer.

You can in fact use all Publisher-only text features like Text Frame, extra Paragraph options etc. They will be carried over to the Designer, even though you can't edit stuff like Paragraph Decorations, Text Frame Columns etc. directly:

publisher_text_features_in_designer.png.9db3b4c8d61bbaf1434384d8e4834484.png

Then just switch back and forth as you see fit.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

On 1/30/2021 at 1:29 PM, Frank Jonen said:

Any news why this is being ignored by Serif? It's pretty much the only illustration tool without a search. Even Inkscape has search.

Serif seldom reveals their plans, and thus we can only guess.

My guess is that with the arrival of Publisher they are targeting that as the application for people who need large amounts of text or more advanced text features. And given the low prices for the applications, and the ease of working between the different applications (especially with StudioLink), making text-related enhancements to Designer may have a low priority.

But they did make some improvements to Frame Text handling in Designer in 1.9, so perhaps there's still hope for Find and Replace, someday, too.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 year later...
23 minutes ago, Piltsen said:

Any news on having this functionality BACK in Affinity Designer 

Not sure what you mean by "back". It was never in Designer. 

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, rvsf said:

Please!! This is need for me, I work with technical sheets in Designer and constantly remplace text, dates, names etc...

Why not work in Publisher, then, which has the function you need...

-- Walt
PC:

On 1/2/2023 at 1:20 PM, walt.farrell said:

Why not work in Publisher, then, which has the function you need...

Publisher is not a pure vector app, I need to move the artboards freely, it's not a running document like a catalogue.

8 minutes ago, rvsf said:

Publisher is not a pure vector app, I need to move the artboards freely, it's not a running document like a catalogue.

You can work on (and create) Artboard-based applications in Publisher, and move the Artboards around.

For an existing Artboard-based document, just Open it in Publisher. If offered the opportunity to convert the Artboards to Spreads, don't do it.

To create an Artboard-based document, switch to the Designer Persona and use File > New. You will have an option in the dialog to "Create Artboard". Select it.

-- Walt
PC:

25 minutes ago, rvsf said:

Publisher is not a pure vector app

That doesn't make a difference. Publisher won't touch your existing content of an artboard based document. It will only add its own exclusive features.

To put it simply:
The Affinity suite is technically – under the hood – just one app and one document format. The three file extensions only exist to define the default app to open a document. Use each app freely as you see fit to add or use any of its exclusive features as you see fit. Similarly, change the default app to open an Affinity document simply by changing its suffix, e.g. from *.afdesign to *.afpub. Or use the File > Edit In… menu command to seamlessly switch back and forth. Or use Publisher's personas. Whatever suits your workflow the best.
Don't limit your creativity by limiting your mindset;) 

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2