You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Political cartoon

Phil_rose

That is a really cool image.  The cutout technique is really neat.  What is the symbolism of the turned -down wine glass?  

I have also been using political cartoons as inspiration for drawings as I learn to use Affinity Designer. This image is combining elements from several other images that I have been learning to draw.  This cartoon resonated with me since I  live in a development that used to be a forest and we still have deer in the area.  

bambi with cartoons.png

So the not terribly sophisticated symbolism is that, while the Democrats, Republicans and corporations have full champagne glasses, the people's glass is empty. 

Make sense?

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com

Phil,   Thank you for providing the clarification.  I would recommend making the 'people' representative thinner and wearing working clothing. Also consider making the individual smaller and maybe even have several additional figurers representing working 'people.' (that is a technique I have seen with other political cartoon artists.  Also consider using the traditional logos for Dems and Repubs on their buttons.  

The idea of the 'people' not having any champagne makes sense.  

16 hours ago, Phil_rose said:

I will have to learn how to draw a bony figure. 

Hands are not an easy thing to draw.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• 2 weeks later...

Hands are difficult, but if you focus on them well, (and feet, and heck, the full body. Is not like the other parts are "easy"! As I see this of the hands posted a lot. Ppl just over simplify other parts and our mind is less able to detect the errors there.... Just like in faces, for psychological reasons.) and start from its basic "3D" volumes/shapes, it ends up being easy. As always in drawing, from overall structure to progressive detail, never starting with detail, so you will be much able to handle and imagine any possible angle/torsion/pose, then detail can come in over those structures. A large bit goes in real life observation, like in everything drawing. Even your own hands!.  Is one of those many cases (all, in my view) where solid drawing skills are an essential base to do good toon, stylized, expressionism,  or whatever kind of drawing or painting.

Besides all that, I strongly recommend a good anatomy book. Even for just consulting it as you might need during work.  Even more rare recommendation ( I see veery few times ppl recommending this, and I don't know why ppl learning now is not using this) : We have now an infinite source of image reference. I did not have that when studying Fine Arts, neither before as a painter and comic artist. Today, is uber simple to just have some movie, or sports event, or etc, movie file, where you can even take screenshots to analyze even step by step of how the torsion of a hand, fingers, an arm pose, how muscles get revealed in a fore arm torsion, feet, etc, etc. You can go frame by frame in a movie viewer like the free VLC (mac/win/linux), capturing the ref you need, so you can draw it and study it, but if you just "copy" it, or much worse, just trace it, you are plainly doing nothing towards learning. The key part is analyze in your brain, understand it, the volume, and the whys. As the ultimate objective can only be to assimilate those shapes, make them your own, so to be able to draw them without refs at any time, pose and perspective. I don't use refs anymore (for anatomy), thanks to these "analyzing" procedures. That said I am not a genius, but I kind of know some stuff there, I hope it ends up being helpful to someone who probably would use it all better than me.  :) 

Oh, was forgetting, my fav book... Is rarely promoted vs some that had really a lot of success on internet (srry, right now I don't remember the name of that other author... I could only check some pages, and it did look good...)... My issue with any other book I've been able to at least skim through the pages is... I don't understand why the heck would anyone want to use an anatomy book where the refs, examples, and etc are NOT CORRECT. Where the teaching is bad from start, it can trigger long standing errors in your future drawing. I've seen this horrible matters in many anatomy drawing, but also general "learning to draw" books. This one I like since always, is from before we had internet,  I purchased mine around '91 -92, when I had to get these books for the Fine Arts subjects.... I LOVE the book. But is definitely not as good maybe from a learning perspective as those american authors so famous on inet. Still... I believe the one I propose here is really good for a basic, academic ref. Sadly, I've never been able to find an English version. And the French one, not sure if is exactly the same book :

(Spanish, sorry..... :s )

https://www.amazon.es/Anatomia-artistica-hombre-Bellas-Artes/dp/8484510220/

Now...the French version...title is the same, same author... Surely same book, despite having a different cover ( and I don't remember that illustration inside the book, but the book is quite extensive, has many illustrations, could be one of them) :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/2224002254/

But again, after that ( or another GOOD anatomy and general drawing books), my "paused movies" (btw, I have not done it. I wish I had that back in the day, tho. I've used it recently for finding quickly some historical ref (clothing, weapons, etc) for illustration projects, but then discovered VERY few movies are really accurate, the best for that is... almost only museums and academic material...) and photo refs from anywhere will help you a ton to build that "brain capability".  I just believe it is needed first of all a good drawing book, anatomy oriented. Great if you also get some other about perspective, other about light/contrast, other about color, or a good one covering WELL those three. To have as a base in learning, then enrich with references. Not the other way around. I see a lot of young people not caring at all about these first steps, today, and that way is close to impossible (okay, not fully impossible) to get drawings right.... No matter what style one is drawing in, IMO.

Again, am no authority on the matter or whatever. Yup, I can draw, but take it as an advice from another (bit seasoned) student.

Anyway, for this completely stylized mood, these matters are a bit irrelevant. It is all mostly about your design concept (still, general rules of color, composition, etc, still apply as in most art) and having a sharp mind.  :) 

Sorry for derailing a bit the thread.  Is just when I read "hands are hard to draw", I feel a compulsive need to say something. As I think in that very sentence can be perceived a total wrong take at the matter (which is absolutely natural to have at the beginning). Again, me no genius, more of a chit-chatter grunt.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.