You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Creating a multi-page file (for PDF export)

Super newbie here! I've ordered the book (Designer), but in the meantime, trying to figure things out and didn't come up with anything in the Help files. I'm designing sewing patterns to be printed and cut out/pieced together. Could someone point me in the direction of a tut or instructions on how to create a multi-page file please? I'll be exporting as a PDF and will need several pages for the entire pattern. Thanks in advance!

It might be worth while looking at Affinity Publisher while its still a beta version and free to use as it might suit your needs more.

In any case, one method from Affinity Designer is to create multiple Artboards and export the Artboards from Export Persona as individual PDF pages then create a PDF from them.

Or just create multiple Artboards and use File > Export and export as a PDF.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thanks so much! I hadn't realized that Publisher was free for now- I'll definitely download it! In the meantime, I just kind of started trying things and added Art Boards for each page I wanted, just putting them one below the other (letter size) and that did the trick as you suggested! Thanks so much! :) 

Your welcome, enjoy playing with Affinity Publisher beta.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 1 year later...

I tried exporting a multi layer file from within Affinity Photo and it only created a single page PDF file with just the 1st layer appearing. This is despite having 'include layers' ticked in the PDF export options. Is there something I missed or is it a 'feature' ?

4 minutes ago, DSNet said:

I tried exporting a multi layer file from within Affinity Photo and it only created a single page PDF file with just the 1st layer appearing. This is despite having 'include layers' ticked in the PDF export options. Is there something I missed or is it a 'feature' ?

Are you using File > Export or the Export Persona?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 months later...
On 12/18/2019 at 4:51 PM, walt.farrell said:

Are you using File > Export or the Export Persona?

So sorry for the huge delay in responding. It's been so long I don't recall for certain which method I used , though I strongly suspect it was File/Export. I will have another go using the Export Persona, which I probably overlooked. Again, apologies.

2 hours ago, DSNet said:

So sorry for the huge delay in responding. It's been so long I don't recall for certain which method I used , though I strongly suspect it was File/Export. I will have another go using the Export Persona, which I probably overlooked. Again, apologies.

I was not suggesting using the Export Persona, merely inquiring what method you were using.

If you could share your document, or at least a screenshot of it including the Layers panel, and a screenshot of your export options (the More dialog), that would help.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1