You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The file appears to be corrupted

Hello, 

Sorry to disturb you, i have some problems with my files in Affinity designer.
I am working for my school, i was working the morning but i couldn't access to them the afternoon.
Could you help me please? I have the message " file appears to be corrupted". 

I am in trouble, i have many hours on this project.
I have a weTransfert link if you want.

Thank you for the help.

Mathieu

Can you make the file available so we can try to open it.... 

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

I also get "file appears to be corrupted" and can't open it in any app. Can you open previous files you worked on?  

-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

• Staff

Hi MathieuB,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Did you copied the files to the local disk (computer) before starting working on them or opened them directly from a server/NAS? We do recommend working from a local drive whenever possible to prevent loss of data in case the server/NAS becomes unavailable. I'm passing your files to the dev team to see if we can recover them/do anything regarding this.

Could there be an automatic backup on his local hard-drive by any chance....

-- Macbook Air 15"

• Staff

Whenever possible copy the file to a local disk first to work on it. Affinity doesn't load the file entirely to the memory (for performance reasons) and keeps reading/writing/accessing the file whenever necessary. If the access is lost (for whatever reason) it may lead to data loss/corruption.

6 hours ago, MathieuB said:

I will remember it after this incident.

Something else to remember that someone I know with a long history of writing storage device driver software once told me:

You don't own any data unless it is backed up on at least two other storage devices. By that he meant any storage device can fail at any time, often without warning, so without a good backup strategy you could lose all your document files unless you have redundant backups that are independent of each other.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 years later...

I have .afphoto files that i think were created in a previous version. Now when i try to open them i get the message "The file appears to be corrupt" Also, when i just click on the file in File Explored, the thumbnail shows the correct picture. How do i fix this (i tried to both click on the file to open it and to open affinity photo and then do File>Open to open it, both give the same error message?) I have version 1.7.1.404

corrupt2.jpg

corrupt1.jpg

Clap with Clare (1).afphoto

Hello @LauraK there were maching ants. 

Hope that helps.

Clap with Clare without machining ants.afphoto

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

@LauraK you should update Affinity Photo to the latest version. You'll not be able to open my saved version (APh 1.10.1.1142).

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

2 hours ago, LauraK said:

I have version 1.7.1.404

As @Komatös indicated, the file opens fine in 1.10, and you're quite downlevel if you're at 1.7.1.

I, too, suggest you update to a newer release.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, Komatös said:

@LauraK you should update Affinity Photo to the latest version. You'll not be able to open my saved version (APh 1.10.1.1142).

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

As @Komatös indicated, the file opens fine in 1.10, and you're quite downlevel if you're at 1.7.1.

I, too, suggest you update to a newer release.

The latest Affinity Store version is available from here: https://store.serif.com/update/windows/photo/1

If you purchased the app from the Microsoft Store you’ll need to log in to that store to install the update.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 8 months later...

Please could someone help me with file with error code "The file appears to be corrupted." Its really important file which I cannot lose. For next time I will know that I need to work from local disk. 

https://www.uschovna.cz/zasilka/YZ423XHHU3SDR3D9-TNW/

Hi, @Shelby222and welcome to the forums.

Can you please provide the file here in the forum. Nobody will follow a cryptic link here for security reasons.

Do you see the paper clip? You can drag your document onto that space.

• 1 year later...

Hi, I'm having the same problem today. I update to the recent update of affinity publisher V2 this morning and start working on a file. Suddenly, when I tried to save the document, it pop ups an error saying the file is corrupted and it have to close. Please help! What should I do to recover my file??

56 minutes ago, CarlaZ said:

What should I do to recover my file??

As suggested in the previous post to yours, can you try providing the file to the forum?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7