You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Document in two different languages, how to manage the flow of texts

Hello, I have a question.

I have a document in two different languages, thus on the same page I have two blocks of text side by side, one for each language.

How can I link the flow of text from the blocks on page 1 to 2, 3....for each of the languages. I hope it is not the manual method block by block, language by language.

Suggestions-ideas .

Thank you 

Use two Text Frames on Page 1, side by side... Oh foul words, I see what the problem is ...

Is this one text document? 

English english     Dansk dansk

I will have to think about this, it is doable but I need to know more, is it text or PDF or what ever format?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

9 hours ago, obef said:

I hope it is not the manual method block by block, language by language.

You can create a text box for the first language , say English, and let the auto-flow take its course, but the second language will need to be manual.
Which means that you need to have 2 complete files, one for English and one for the Danish translation.
You will still need to dedicate a lot of time to make sure that lines in each translations match, and that may be difficult, regardless of whether this process can be automated or not.
You may find it easier to create text frames, save them in the assets manager and just paste them on a page per page basis as appropriate.

This way you will have maximum control over the text, especially whether it comes to matching lines in each translation.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

1 minute ago, Seneca said:

You can create a text box for the first language , say English, and let the auto-flow take its course, but the second language will need to be manual.
Which means that you need to have 2 complete files, one for English and one for the Danish translation.
You will still need to dedicate a lot of time to make sure that lines in each translations match, and that may be difficult, regardless of whether this process can be automated or not.
You may find it easier to create text frames, save them in the assets manager and just paste them on a page per page basis as appropriate.

This way you will have maximum control over the text, especially whether it comes to matching lines in each translation.

Easy peasy if there are two text files (and by the way I just picked Dansk out of the air), the hassle is if it is one file with the two already side by side.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

12 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Easy peasy if there are two text files (and by the way I just picked Dansk out of the air),

I assumed that these would be separate files, but if not, what I would do is to put the text, (assuming it's a one file) on a table with 2 columns.

The left cell would contain, say English, the right cell the other language.
The next table row would contain the next sentence, and so on.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

57 minutes ago, Seneca said:

I assumed that these would be separate files, but if not, what I would do is to put the text, (assuming it's a one file) on a table with 2 columns.

The left cell would contain, say English, the right cell the other language.
The next table row would contain the next sentence, and so on.

Can we flow Tables like Text frames? That could well be the solution. I award you one (1) internets for thinking outside the box (yet keeping near enough to it so that could work as a solution).

Hello,

In Word it is easy, use the table and it flow over multiple pages, with one column in English  that does not interfere with the other.

In Publisher I have try but it does not work like this. Thus I try with text block... but I did not find an easy mechanism to handle 45-50 pages with two languages and pictures. 

I have done easy with the first language it generate the pages automatically, but I have been forced to connect block by block manually for the second language since the flow appears to continue after the end of the first language.

Not and easy approach.

Thanks  & Ciao

4 hours ago, Fixx said:

Autoflow should use existing pages, not flow text after first text pages.

I'm not sure whether I follow what you are trying to say. :)

Do you mean we should be able to run 2 or more stories and have the text boxes linked each story separately.

If that's what you are trying to say then I am 100% behind you. In fact, I was working on an inDesign project and wanted 5 stories run separately on each page and be able to link these stories across all the pages automatically. inDesign allows yo to have only 1 story across the pages.

I hope Publisher is going to be more flexible than that.

One possible solution could be this: create a single page, insert the text frames for the two languages. Then duplicate the page, duplicate again and again one at a time, then link the text frames of each language, page by page.

Now move back to the beginning of page 1 in the first frame, import the text file of the first language that will flow through all the frames previously linked in all pages, repeat the import for the second language...I know it is not very elegant.

Any other idea ?

Ciao

8 minutes ago, fde101 said:

I think there are use cases for both of these options.

No, you place your text to page and rest of the text should be placed to next pages, not somewhere in the end of the document. If you want it to be in the end, just place it there.

When you place text and start flow, Publisher should place a frame copy to next page in original position. When you add next story beside first one, Publisher should again place a frame copy to next page in original 2's position.

Note, this is different from InDesign – you need to play with master pages there to make this work.

2 minutes ago, Fixx said:

somewhere in the end of the document.

If that is what was meant (or what is happening) then I agree.

The two cases I was thinking of:

• Use the next existing pages after the one containing the text box being auto-flowed
  • Insert new pages immediately after the one containing the text box being auto-flowed and before any existing pages which are after it

• 5 years later...

Anyone ever solve this in an elegant way.  

I was thinking two master pages 

A with LANGUAGE A in a text box on the right

B with the second language on the left. 

10 pages - Apply master A to the 10 pages. 

Flow language A

then Apply Master B to those pages

Flow Language B text through master B

I have noticed that Affinity Publisher DOES not always replace the content of masters when applying a new master. Masters have to be cleared first. 

Thoughts?

@David Battistella There's no need to do that, it's really easy to do with Publisher now.

1. Create a master with language A in the left frame, language B in the right frame. If it's a facing-pages document, link the left frames on each side and the right frames on each side.
  2. Go to the first page and paste the text into each frame.
  3. AutoFlow the left frame (Shift+click the Text Flow Out control). Publisher will create the additional pages, as required. Only the left frames will be linked, the right frame on page 1 won't be linked to the right frame on page 2.
  4. AutoFlow the right frame. Publisher will link the right frames on pages 1 and 2 and everything will flow correctly.

I just tested this and it worked well.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)