You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adjustment Layer don't work after Erase White Paper

Hi,

I have a drawing that I have scanned, later, I have passed it through affinity photo to eliminate the white background and to leave it as png, after doing this, to be able to apply contrast to it, the effects do nothing on the image. However, if I open any other png that has not been passed by that effect leaves me no problem. Is there a way to remove white backgrounds and use the adjustment layers?

Thanks!

• Staff

Hi @wolfmius,

If you used Erase Whitepaper, you are most likely left with black text and a transparent background. Some adjustment layers ( like contrast ) will not have a visible effect as they rely on pixels to "fake" contrast. If you only have black pixels and nothing around them, the contrast will not do much. 

If you attach your file we can have a look.

Thanks,

Gabe. 

• Staff

Right. So here's what happened. 

That image is not actually grayscale, but black varying in opacity to "fake" grays. No adjustment layers would work on black so technically that's correct. To get around this, Create a new, white rectangle to cover the whole image. Place it below the image in the layer stack. Select both layers and Merge visible. Hide the bottom 2 layers, and only leave the new created layer on the top. With that selected, click on Blend Ranges, and adjust the range as below. image.png

After that, you should have grays instead of black, and the adjustment layers will work :)

Thanks,

Gabe.