You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Paste Into picture frame

Hi,

I was happy to accidentally discover the "paste into" option when right-clicking on a picture frame. Since this is something I use quite regularly I was trying to create a shortcut for it. However it seems that because the "paste into" option isn't available in the menu under "Edit" I am not able to create a shortcut?!? Therefore I would appreciate it if it could be added there.

Thanks.

3 hours ago, Jenny said:

I am not able to create a shortcut?!? 

I'm afraid this command is only for pasting things from the clipboard. For example create a picture frame and an ordinary oval. Cut the oval or copy it and select the picture frame and right-mouse click on it. You will be able to see that Paste Into is available. 

You could copy a picture from somewhere else and then paste it into the picture frame this way but remember that doing this will embed the picture into the project you work on.

This may or may not be what you want.

Interestingly, the Edit menu doesn't have that command at all. You may want to report it to the developers as a bug or omission.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

It's tucked in Layer>Insertion>Inside - I hunted for it for the same reason (it's also the button in the screenshot, top-right of your screen)

And because it's Insert, not paste, it does work with placing files, not just pasting - try drawing a vector shape, then do Layer>Insertion>Inside, then place an image and click to place it inside your vector shape.

153913473_Screenshot2018-10-23at17_20_32.png.7a8873447a2fcec55fd5ad00bc38db62.png

Edited by iaing

MacBook Pro M1 Max, macOS 12.6.1 Monterey
Affinity Designer : 2.0  Affinity Photo: 2.0,   Affinity Publisher: 2.0

• 6 months later...

I have used the "paste into" feature a lot. After just upgrading to the latest version 1.7.0.305 that seems to be gone. When I right-click the picture frame I have the option to "paste" and a greyed-out "paste content". How to I paste a new photo into a frame now? I can't figure it out ... 

23 minutes ago, Jenny said:

I have used the "paste into" feature a lot. After just upgrading to the latest version 1.7.0.305 that seems to be gone. When I right-click the picture frame I have the option to "paste" and a greyed-out "paste content". How to I paste a new photo into a frame now? I can't figure it out ... 

"Place Image" Tool in the toolbar or "replace image" in the context bar

28 minutes ago, Jenny said:

When I right-click the picture frame I have the option to "paste" and a greyed-out "paste content". How to I paste a new photo into a frame now? I can't figure it out ... 

I get the opposite "paste" is greyed-out and "paste content" is active  and works

How are you getting the image onto the clipboard?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

16 minutes ago, carl123 said:

I get the opposite "paste" is greyed-out and "paste content" is active  and works

How are you getting the image onto the clipboard?

I am pasting barcode images which have been generated on a website. So I just right-click on the image on the website and choose "copy image".

Well, I can copy some images from websites and "paste content" them in a frame but it may depend on the image format etc

Can you name the website ?

If not try copying the barcode to your computer and copy and pasting it from there

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I'm not sure why I should change the way I have been doing this for months, it has worked perfectly until this one option was removed - hopefully by accident. Yes, I could save the images to my computer and then place them, but that just takes too long honestly. It used to be a matter of two clicks ... 

1 hour ago, Jenny said:

as far as I know that doesn't work with an image in the clipboard

Why don't you just convert the image into a picture frame after inserting it (right click -> "Convert to picture frame")?!

33 minutes ago, Michail said:

Why don't you just convert the image into a picture frame after inserting it (right click -> "Convert to picture frame")?!

Because I have made a template with a page full of picture frames with custom settings and fittings. I could just paste a picture into a frame and it would automatically adopt the settings. That was very convenient.

Do you know what the file format is of the barcodes you are copying?

png, jpg, something else?

• 1 month later...

Why isn't it possible to paste into picture frame that is added in master page and used as template. Or why isn't it possible to move the picture inside a frame from the layer panel.

I can paste image with right click on frame that is made directly on page but cant do it on a frame from master page.

THX

image.thumb.png.ac85b84fcc965b54fcf2da8e2d62d7c3.png

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version    10.0.17134 Build 17134
System Type    x64-based PC

Doesn't give me that option for frames made in master pages.

image.thumb.png.49b204e07fdde9075b6010064318d971.png

It only gives me that option when the frame is made directly on the page.

image.thumb.png.848fc9e84b060ddc8e57014a894b7736.png

In the first image it shows that you're not working on the master page. That's why the picture frame doesn't have the editable selection handles nor the option to paste as content. You need to double-click on the masterpage icon to be able to select and edit it.

The thing is i dont want it in master page. I know I can place an image with the place option in the File menu. But it seems impossible to do it with images already placed in on page or pasted images from clipboard. 

Thanks for the Edit detached.

Have another question.

Is there a way to change the orange line in Layer to a dashed line like in the image I'm attaching.

With a right click or something. I know it changes if you place an image, but is there a just a click menu. Because when its dashed like this an image can be dragged inside without the Edit detached.

THX

image.png.997bc1c120f04280dc73a75977364c7b.png

• 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I figured out a workaround to using a clipboard item and pasting it into a Picture Frame. 

1) Copy item 

2) Paste on layout.

3) Cut the pasted item.

4) Control click on Mac in the Picture frame to get Paste as Content pop-up.

5) Done.

Edited by Mike_s