You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Objects converted to curves

Can I converted a round corner rectangle back into a quick shape after converting it into a curve?

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

If I added an invisible object and combined them wouldn't this make it into non-curve object?

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• Staff

Not sure i'n following you here. If I understood you correctly in the first post you asked if it was possible to (re)convert a smart shape previously converted to curves into a smart shape again - which is not. How does performing a boolean operation would change this? Are you referring to Compound objects? That's not the same as smart object/shapes... Maybe I'm missing something. Can you expand a little please?

That's OK MEB.

When I combine quick shapes (Boolean operation?), which may have been changed into curves, they then become a non-curved object  which can be changed back into curved objects. Do you need an example?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

The parametric shapes in the Affinity apps work just like QuickShapes in DrawPlus: applying any of the Geometry operations causes them to be converted to curves and you can’t convert them back again.

Edit: I think the ‘Combine’ operation may be an exception to the above, but I don’t currently have access to DrawPlus to check. Instead of a ‘Break Apart’ command, the Affinity apps only have a ‘Divide’ command.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Nope, actually after conversion QuickShapes and Curves are internally (thus programmatically) completely different objects.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

5 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Nope, actually after conversion QuickShapes and Curves are internally (thus programmatically) completely different objects.

Attached is a file showing what I mean.

A = Two quick shapes

B = Rectangle changed to curves and modified and then combined with the circle. The result is a non-curved shape.

C = The combined shape converted into curves.

Combined shapes.afdesign

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Could you not make a compound shape where the shape layer retains the rectangle title?

1381161156_ScreenShot3.png.902aefbdbc95167ade68f73fbc07c48c.png

1934964745_ScreenShot4.png.2b824e61faf052437bb8a4ae30535375.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

3 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Could you not make a compound shape where the shape layer retains the rectangle title?

1381161156_ScreenShot3.png.902aefbdbc95167ade68f73fbc07c48c.png

Next time I do one I'll check that out.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Well in my understanding the initial Q was, if a quick shape object when converted into a curve, can be transformed/converted back into a quick shape object (?). And that's actually not possible. - Everything else shown here so far, are just combinations of shapes and/or curves, in order to build some composite object or to overcome that initial mentioned object transformation limitation.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

1 minute ago, v_kyr said:

Well in my understanding the initial Q was, if a quick shape object when converted into a curve, can be transformed/converted back into a quick shape object (?). And that's actually not possible. - Everything else shown here so far, are just combinations of shapes and/or curves, in order to build some composite object or to overcome that initial mentioned object transformation limitation.

My point was that by adding an invisible object to a shape that had been converted to a curve then it automatically becomes a non-curved combined shape. It may be that technically the new combined shape is not the same as a Quick shape.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• Staff

Hi jackamus,
Thanks for the additional details. I'm not sure what do you mean by invisible shapes here (are you referring to the objects inside a compound object?) but looking at the file you uploaded, the first case (A) are just two simple geometric shapes (quick shapes) - there are parametric and their attributes can be adjusted anytime. (B) is a compound object or in other words the result of a non-destructive boolean operation - this is not a quick shape but the live result of a boolean operation - if the original objects used to perform it are quick shapes they will remain as quick shapes and their parameters can still be adjusted, if the original objects used to perform it are regular curves they will remain like so (non-parametric). (C) is the result of converting your compound shape to curves (so the original objects used in the boolean operation are now lost) or the result of a destructive boolean operation.

2 minutes ago, jackamus said:

My point was that by adding an invisible object to a shape that had been converted to a curve then it automatically becomes a non-curved combined shape. It may be that technically the new combined shape is not the same as a Quick shape.

Hmm I'm not sure I can follow your intention completely. - So you may mean if an invisible object is added to a curved one, the combination of those objects might then look like a simple shape in the layers panel?

Hi All,

I'm sorry but I think I have been leading you all up blind alley! I went back to my original problem which was a rounded corner QS. I then tried out my adding an 'invisible' shape to restore it back to a non-curve shape. In doing this I lost the red radius adjustment node. It was this node that I wanted to restore to make it easy to edit all 4 corners at the same time.

Sorry to mess you all about.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0