You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Recently I did an illustration for microstock. I painted everything in Designer. Began to export to EPS format, and the gradient of the vector became raster!?!?!?!?!? I need everything to remain a vector. Microstocks do not accept embedded raster objects. The illustrator copes with this task easily. For your program, this was a daunting task.
P.S. Attached the file so that you can see for yourself.

Halloween2.afdesign

Rasterizes when selecting any method of export in EPS. I did it first on Ipad, then on MacBook. And I noticed an absolutely strange feature: If I export to Svg, then the gradients are not correct, but they remain a vector on the same objects.

• Staff

Hi rusab11,
Exporting as EPS (for export) does keep all objects/gradients as vectors for me in Designer v1.6.1 (make sure you have Postcript level set to 3) - however there's a few issues re-importing them to Designer. I'm logging this to be looked at. What application are you using to see/check the exported EPS? Illustrator?

Yes, I use Illustrator. For me it was the main program for creating a vector. But with the transition to IPad, I decided to start working at Designer. And then the problems started.
When exporting, I set a level 3. Version I have a designer 1.6.1.

• Staff

Hi rusab11,
For some reason Adobe  Illustrator doesn't recognise some of the data on the EPS and do rasterise the gradients on import, however we are not exporting them rasterised. If you open Designer's exported EPS in another app like Graphic (from Picta Inc) for example all gradients remain as vector/editable.

If so, then this is a problem, as I have to refine some things in Illustarator. For example, delete unnecessary points on objects, since when they are converted to EPS, there are a lot of them. Also, there are installed scripts to automate the preparation for microstocks. And in general there are a lot of things that I have not yet found in Designer. For example, such an important function as disassembling an object into a fill and stroke using the effect imposed on it. You now have effects applied as a correction layer. But I did not understand how then to merge this layer with the one to which it is applied. That is, remove the adjustment layer using the effect (merging the effect with the layer below)

I followed your advice, tried to open exported from Designer EPS to Designer. The picture is even sadder. Objects are not only rasterized, but also cut into pieces. So he initially does the wrong EPS.

I followed your advice, tried to open exported from Designer EPS to Designer. The picture is even sadder. Objects are not only rasterized, but also cut into pieces. So he initially does the wrong EPS. I didn’t quite understand how you managed to export the correct EPS from my file, so that you could open everything in its original form in Designer.

• Staff
52 minutes ago, rusab11 said:

I didn’t quite understand how you managed to export the correct EPS from my file, so that you could open everything in its original form in Designer.

The exported EPS doesn't open correctly in Designer either - that's why I said I've logged the issues - but they do remain as vector/editable gradients. Attached is a screenshot of you file exported as EPS and reopened in Designer (on a Mac) - see the file extension in the title bar. All gradients remain as editable fills (I've selected the green one on the top of the pumpkin as an example) although their attributes are different from the original design - that why I've logged this. Are you working on Windows by any chance? There may be other issues in the Windows version when exporting the EPS. Will have to check that.

No, everything was done on a Mac. But I couldn’t manage to export with editable fills. Can you record a video of the process with settings on my file? I will attach the original file.

And one more important question to which you did not answer: how to merge the adjustment layer with the layer to which the effect is applied?

Halloween.afdesign

• Staff

I will record a clip and will post here. If the adjustment is nested to the layer right click the image layer (the parent layer) in the Layers panel and select Rasterise. Note this will rasterise whatever the adjustment is applied to. So if you are applying adjustments to vector objects/groups etc they will be turned into pixel layers.

MEB, would you upload the eps you created and also a pdf?

For one thing, conical gradients are not supported in eps or pdf. So they either need converted during export to how many individual parts to remain vector or become raster. At least the Windows version exports them as raster. Just about the whole Halloween file becomes raster here.

Thanks, Mike 

• Staff

Hi rusab11,
Here's the clip using the original file you have posted in the first post. And the resulting EPS exported from Designer (the EPS shown in the clip) attached below.

The file you have attached in you last post (above) is a different story. You have completed the illustration and used some features not supported by the EPS format itself (any kind of transparency, conical gradients, etc) which are inevitably rasterised on export.

Halloween2.eps

• 1 year later...

Affinity Designer 1.8.3 does not export editable vector gradients as EPS into Adobe Illustrator.... but Affinity can IMPORT editable gradients FROM Adobe Illustrator. Please fix this issue because this makes Adobe Illustrator a more compatible and favorable vector application across vector software applications and not Affinity Designer. Affinity Designer has always had this incompatibility issue.