You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

linking text frames (publisher)

I have made one master page with one text framed. I created two pages both using the same master, so there two pages, each with a small text frame. I then copy text from a word doc, and paste into the first text frame. the over flow is visible, the eye icon will hide it, but both the eye and the triangle are red and don't do anything when I try to link them?? 

pubpage.jpg

• Staff

Hi dieseldave,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
You have to click on the triangle on the bottom right side of the text frame  (a link cursor should appear as soon as you mouse over it) then click over the other empty text frame you want to link to. Note that the Master Pages should only be used to place items that will be replicated on all pages they are applied to. Text and images (and other elements) specific to each page should be created on the pages themselves. There's more improvements planned that will let you define/set text frames on master pages later to use as placeholders for the pages themselves. For more information about the current workflow/supported functionality check the tutorials on this page.

2 hours ago, MEB said:

There's more improvements planned that will let you define/set text frames on master pages later to use as placeholders for the pages themselves. 

Yeah, without this feature Apub is quite useless / too friggeling for eg. manual-writer! This is a must have!!!!

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

1 hour ago, dieseldave said:

what version of Apub is being used for the tutorial?  That seems to work correctly.

As I remember it, in the tutorial that I watched Ash did not put a variable-content text frame onto the Master. He put Guides on the Master and used them to help draw properly sized/aligned text frames on the individual document pages.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 10/22/2018 at 3:41 PM, dieseldave said:

so, is linking text frames (without using some workaround)
impossible using the current release? If that is the case, I will have to continue using MS Publisher.

You can draw a text frame on a document page, insert as much text as you want into it, and if it overflows shift-click on the red "link" icon. Publisher will create as many new pages, with the same format as the current page (and same Master(s) applied), as needed to hold the overflow text and will flow the text through all those pages.

What you can't easily do, later, is adjust the size/position of those frames on the pages in one operation as you could if the text frame were on the Master page.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 10/22/2018 at 12:45 PM, MEB said:

There's a "workaround" consisting on using the Symbols panel to detach the text frames from the master pages although...

Thanks, but i not really understand, is there a tut for?

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

• Staff

Hi Polygonius,
There's no tutorial for this because as I said I don't think it's intended to work this way. I believe there still work/improvements/changes to do here. The workaround consists in going to the layers the Master pages create on each page (they have an orange gradient identifying them as symbols), select/highlight the object(s) you want to "detach/unlink" from the Master on these pages, open the Symbols panel (menu View ▸ Studio ▸ Symbols) and click the Detach button there. These objects no longer update when you change the master.