You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi

I find a problem with superscript sign ® on MAC and PC.

In many fonts ® is not in superscript on default. So when I press superscript buton in Typography bar it should be in superscript.

However it is NOT. Still its on baseline. It works with regular characters like numbers, but with some special like ® © ∞ doesn't!

Screenshot 2018-10-21 at 16.31.39.png

OK, my mistake. I did not see the "S" field in Character palette.

However, when working in AD, this field was not available and the superscrip function worked correctly from the typography palette! Even if the font did not have the proper glyph (eg Arial)!

So, are we not making a mess using two methods in two places leading to the same goal?

And well, we have a discrepancy in the use of programs, on the one hand AD and APhoto on the other APublisher :(

The next update of Designer will behave the same as Publisher, so they'll be consistent.

I feel both superscript methods should be available. The Typographic one because it gives better results when it works, and the Position and Transform one because it always works.

On 10/21/2018 at 11:25 AM, Dave Harris said:

The Typography options depend on the font having the necessary glyphs to support them. Try using the super/subscript option at bottom-right of the Positioning and Transform section instead.

And if that doesn't work, which I have discovered it doesn't with a font I use quite a bit, I have found a workaround.   It is a bit fiddly, but it works.   Herewith, a screen shot.

815850782_ScreenShot2018-10-28at2_34_59PM.thumb.png.c0367fc318386c8d59605d417a761644.png

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

9 hours ago, Dave Harris said:

I feel both superscript methods should be available. The Typographic one because it gives better results when it works, and the Position and Transform one because it always works.

Yes; furthermore, I think turning on the Position and Transform one should automatically turn on the Typographic one, and turning off the Position and Transform one should turn off the Typographic one.  If someone wants one of the less likely two configurations they could then still toggle the option under Typography after setting Position and Transform as desired.

20 hours ago, fde101 said:

Yes; furthermore, I think turning on the Position and Transform one should automatically turn on the Typographic one, and turning off the Position and Transform one should turn off the Typographic one.  If someone wants one of the less likely two configurations they could then still toggle the option under Typography after setting Position and Transform as desired.

Generally they shouldn't be mixed, because often the Typographic one will work for numbers like 2 and 3, but not for 5 or 6, so superscript 256 looks weird because the 2 doesn't match the other two numbers.

On 10/28/2018 at 6:40 PM, jmwellborn said:

And if that doesn't work, which I have discovered it doesn't with a font I use quite a bit, I have found a workaround.   It is a bit fiddly, but it works.   Herewith, a screen shot.

I would expect the Transform section bottom-right method to work with all fonts. Can you tell me which it doesn't work with, and is it available for testing? Publisher gets the position of the superscript from the font tables, so it may be this font has a wrong value, which we maybe could detect and use a default instead.

4 hours ago, Dave Harris said:

I would expect the Transform section bottom-right method to work with all fonts. Can you tell me which it doesn't work with, and is it available for testing? Publisher gets the position of the superscript from the font tables, so it may be this font has a wrong value, which we maybe could detect and use a default instead.

I am using Cormorant.    But I have found that by using various other fonts, including Courier,  I still cannot accomplish what I want.  Tried typing 1st into a text frame, then tried to do a superscript for the “st.”   Nothing.  It wouldn’t subscript either (although I wouldn’t want to do that in real life).   I can make the 1 go either up or down, in either type face but that is the wrong thing.    I have tried entering a word with a period after it and a superscript 1 (as if referring to a footnote).   That works in Cormorant and Courier, so I presume it will in many other fonts.   It seems that letters versus numerals cannot be super/sub scripted.     I have also tried superscript/subscript with the copyright symbol from the Cormorant glyph browser.   Won’t work.   I tried the star symbol from the Courier glyph browser.  Won’t work either.  Then I tried the number 11 in Courier.   It works.   Apparently these options are currently only for  numerals.   Hopefully this can be sorted out one of these days.    

Hope this helps.   I truly love Publisher!!!!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.

1 hour ago, jmwellborn said:

Apparently these options are currently only for  numerals.

Are you sure you're using the specification in the Positioning and Transform part of the panel?

superscript.png.78464faa9ce001e77bdcc7b12c712da8.png

It sounds like you're trying to use the superscript setting in the Typography section, which (I think) typically works only with a limited set of characters.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

17 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Are you sure you're using the specification in the Positioning and Transform part of the panel?

superscript.png.78464faa9ce001e77bdcc7b12c712da8.png

It sounds like you're trying to use the superscript setting in the Typography section, which (I think) typically works only with a limited set of characters.

By George!   Thos is rescued.!!   Thank you.   Clear as a bell, when one discovers the bell.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.