You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Live Filter Layer for Plugins

Dear Affinity Team,

I installed the NIK filter collection into Affinity Photo and it works fine.
However, it has no link to the live filters, which means it gets automatically baked into the footage.

To demonstrate my problem let me explain:
I want to use the program for product and architectural visualization, so I render out an image from a 3D software and open it in Affinity Photo for postproduction.
This edited image then goes out to the client.
If he then decides next day that he needs some geometry changes, or a different perspective, I need to rerender the image and do the exact same postproduction afterwards.
It is not feasable to note down all the settings I made. I would rather like to just copy the effects onto the new image in Affinity Photo.

So my proposal is to rather than have different live filter layers for specific filters, couldnt there be one for plugins, too?
So maybe like: I add a live filter layer, a window pops up, lets me decide which plugin to use and after being done save that into the live filter layer?

with best regards

Gustav

Can't you just record Macros with the NIK filters? That is what I would try.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

And then you got to have a vast library of macros in the end of the day...
I dont know how feaseable this is and also not a solution, rather just a workaround.
I'm talking about more than just a few hobby projects, also, would these macros be recorded in the file or on the computer? Because then you couldnt even change the workstation.

But thanks for the idea!

• 1 year later...
On 10/23/2018 at 5:29 AM, Old Bruce said:

Can't you just record Macros with the NIK filters? That is what I would try.

If you do try you get a message that tells you cannot record a plugin in a macro.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

As a kludge, and obviously depending highly upon the edits you do in post to the rendering, you can bake a LUT that will replace all of the edits and can be stacked on top of the rendering that may change, subject to client feedback, etc.  

Because you cannot export a LUT from AP that is based on pixel operations (like using ColorEfex or something similar), you will need to export two images after your first editing session:

1) The original render

2) The edited render.

Then you can open the original render, add a LUT adjustment layer and then use the Infer LUT option to infer the edits between the original and the post-production editing.  Again, this will only work for global edits, like color grading and adjustments to global tone, as opposed to edits that change local portions of the image.  Hey, it ain't pretty but it works.  When the client needs changes made to the original render, you can make those changes, render the new image and replace the stale (background) image with the new render and all of the color grading and tonal changes made during the first post session will be applied via the LUT adjustment layer.

If you make a bunch of edits in, for example, ColorEfex, you can also save them as recipes in ColorEfex and, while it will require you revisiting ColorEfex to apply the filters to the new render, they will be fully editable in ColorEfex.  In this example, all a SmartObject is doing is saving the filter recipe in the SO instead of as a preset in ColorEfex.

Kirk