You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Drag guides with Node Tool instead of Move Tool

I was complaining that I could not drag guides from rulers using the Move Tool, however, I discovered I could using the Node Tool. A Windows user was telling me to use the Move Tool. We decided the Mac and Windows versions don't match in this regard. Guides can be dragged from rulers in both Designer and Photo in the Mac versions, Publisher for Mac is not right.

OK, I have now tested this over and over. I cannot set guidelines using the Move Tool, not even with any modifier key. Node Tool Yes. Go to Photo and the Move Tool works for guides.

What is going on? Any ideas? Why is my Mac different? Am I missing something here?

9 hours ago, Bob Grahame said:

OK, I have now tested this over and over. I cannot set guidelines using the Move Tool, not even with any modifier key. Node Tool Yes. Go to Photo and the Move Tool works for guides.

What is going on? Any ideas? Why is my Mac different? Am I missing something here?

Check the Publisher Preferences > Keyboard Preferences > Tools, the Move Tool should be V. And now for my go to question; do you have any third party keyboard shortcut utilities installed?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

Check the Publisher Preferences > Keyboard Preferences > Tools, the Move Tool should be V. And now for my go to question; do you have any third party keyboard shortcut utilities installed?

Yup, the Move Tool is V in he prefs. I don't have any keyboard shortcut tools installed. It would be difficult to find out if some other application or process running in the background might be interfering with Publisher.

I restarted my computer and logged in as another user (I keep a separate Admin. account). The Move Tool work for setting guidelines. Then I tried changing a few things, such as page size and measurements in Document Setup, etc. and could not cause the problem. I switched users back to my regular account and launched Publisher and the problem returned. I tried resetting the User Defaults in Prefs. and I can't solve the mystery.

Weird!!!

1 hour ago, Bob Grahame said:

I restarted my computer and logged in as another user (I keep a separate Admin. account). The Move Tool work for setting guidelines. Then I tried changing a few things, such as page size and measurements in Document Setup, etc. and could not cause the problem. I switched users back to my regular account and launched Publisher and the problem returned. I tried resetting the User Defaults in Prefs. and I can't solve the mystery.

Weird!!!

Being able to use the Move Tool in a different user account means there is nothing wrong with the Computer/hardware or the software per se. Try this, quit Publisher and then start it up while holding down the Control key. A screen will come up which will ask if you want to Clear User Data, the default has the top three checked just leave it at that and hit Clear. This resets the application to the defaults. Tip; go to Preferences > General and tick the Insert filler text as text box. 

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

4 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Being able to use the Move Tool in a different user account means there is nothing wrong with the Computer/hardware or the software per se. Try this, quit Publisher and then start it up while holding down the Control key. A screen will come up which will ask if you want to Clear User Data, the default has the top three checked just leave it at that and hit Clear. This resets the application to the defaults. Tip; go to Preferences > General and tick the Insert filler text as text box. 

Bingo!!! Done and works now. 

I guess the question to ask is how did this happen in the first place? I don't recall tinkering under the hood much.

Many thank, it not a bug unless a bug caused the problem.

58 minutes ago, Bob Grahame said:

not a bug unless a bug caused the problem.

I am not going down that rabbit hole. It was happening more than likely due to a bug that is buried deep and you managed to notice it.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.