You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

RAW colors wrong on iPad in Affinity Photo

Hi, I’m struggling with RAW development in Affinity Photo on iPad Pro. When I first started using Affinity photo, I didn’t have the problem - it started after an update several months ago.

The issue is that when I import a RAW photo from iOS Photos, the colors appear all wrong in Affinity, despite looking right in iOS Photos. I’ve attached a screenshot of a sample photo for reference - on the left is what it looks like in Affinity (opens automatically in Develop persona) and on the right is what it looks like in iOS Photos (and what it should look like). What is happening?

I tried changing settings in the Assistant menu (disabling tone curve and changing exposure bias settings). This doesn’t help, as disabling tone curve results in a very flat picture (as you would expect). So my question is, how do I get Affinity to process RAWs the same way iOS Photos app does?

Thank you. 

F48151F6-14A6-41E5-BD78-3AC874F9B86D.jpeg

In iOS Photos I think you may be looking at a jpg version of your raw file (not the raw file itself). This jpg would has undergone some processing so will probably look different for that reason. Mind you, I'm surmising here and may well be wrong. If so, someone will correct me. :D

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• Staff

Hi iridescence,

Welcome to the forums :)

What model camera do your files originate from please? How are you uploading the RAW files to your iOS Photos? It's very likely that Photos is displaying an embedded JPEG, as DM1 has mentioned, hence the difference in colour.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

I agree with DM1. Did you know there are 2 methods of loading photos into AP, which will help to prove this. If you use import from the Affinity home screen  you will access the original RAW photo. If instead of doing this you use IOS drag and drop from photo to AP home screen you will access the optimised jpg that IOS displays. 

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you, everyone, for your responses. I’m still a bit confused about this. The photos are all from Canon 80D camera, shot in RAW only mode (so the camera doesn’t save a separate JPG file). I import them into the iPad with an SD Card reader. iOS Photos app shows the colours correctly, when I import the RAW file into other raw processing-capable apps, they also display the colours correctly, and the issue only happens with Affinity. It’s not just an unprocessed version of RAW - it’s an incorrectly processed version of RAW. 

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that, could you let me know is your camera set to RAW, M-RAW or S-RAW mode?

On 11/18/2018 at 12:45 AM, iridescence said:

shot in RAW only mode (so the camera doesn’t save a separate JPG file)

Most RAWs have a JPEG embedded in them, for preview or thumbnail purposes, even when shooting in RAW only mode. This isn't an accessible JPEG as such, but iOS will use the embedded JPEG over the RAW data to display the image to you most of the time.

Which other developing app have you tried? If possible you could you provide a copy of your RAW file to the following link? 

https://www.dropbox.com/request/HrBJrZ42VTMvUB7vF5e3

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 2 years later...

Hello, 

I have the same problem with my raw files. The photos look very flat when imported into Ipad version of AP. Raw files are being imported through a card reader connected directly to my ipad. Photos were taken with the new sony zv-e10 camera. 

Even when I try to Edit the washed out pictures, There is no chance I can get to the colors of the correctly displayed Raw files. 

I was Looking into this problem And found out that some have a similar issue on a desktop version of AP

Thank you very much. 

• Staff

Hi @TH98,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

I can confirm that as can be seen from the following list, unfortunately Affinity does not currently support RAW files from the Sony ZV-E10;

We hope to add support for this model in the future - though we can't provide a timescale for this, my apologies. I hope this helps!

Please note -

Many thanks!