You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Any Fuji X shooters out there...?

• Staff

Hi Phatman :)

You might find something helpful in the links provided in the below post, unfortunately I'm not a Fuji user so couldn't comment personally!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Hello Phatman,

I've been a Fuji X user since it first came out & also was one of the Beta testers for Affinity Photo when it was first introduced.  Coming from Aperture I initially tried to make Affinity Photo my primary editing software but using Lightroom for DAM needs.  It hasn't been a complete success doing this so now I use both LR & Photoshop, with occasional use of Affinity Photo for some easier to use editing functions.  But I recently bought one of the new Fuji X-T3 cameras & have had intermittent problems opening the RAW files from this system in Affinity Photo.  It hung up converting a number of my RAF images, but had no problems opening them if I first converted them to a DNG file in either LR or Iridient X Transformer (which I just started to use because it could convert the RAF files when LR couldn't).  But after closing Photo down, restarting the computer I was able to get it to open RAF images in the Develop function.  So I will continue to work with it to see how it manages these Fuji X files.  And overall I tend to agree with what Thomas Fitzgerald had to say about the differences between LR, Iridient X & Affinity Photo when it comes to how well these RAF files are converted.  I think both Iridient X & Affinity Photo do a better job overall than LR, but that is just my opinion.

I've been getting good results from Affinity Photo with my X-T1 and X-E2, but I'm still testing it out as a RAW convertor. I usually use Raw Therapee mainly because it has X-trans support but want to just use a single program. It's interesting how different companies apply the various parameters.

On another topic in this forum , I received a notice from one of the Affinity Photo forum moderators that my Fuji X-T3 is not a supported camera on either Affinity Photo 1.6.7 or Apple Core RAW yet, but that the earlier X-Trans sensor cameras are supported for RAW conversion.  So until such time as I might be able to use AP for RAW conversion, I will probably convert my RAW files in Iridient X Transformer to DNG & then import them into AP.  I also have AP included as a plug-in for Lightroom so what I could also end up doing, consistent with my past work experience, is bring the DNG files from IXT into LR to have them in the file structure I have set up with LR, & then make the decision as to editing in AP or LR - or even occasional use of Photoshop if I have a need for layers or masks.  This latter situation is also an area where I need to explore AP further to see if it can do what I need for this aspect of editing.  But like you say, I think that AP, for my prior X-Trans RAW conversion, has done a better job than LR.  I haven't had any personal experience with Raw Therapee as an X-Trans file converter but have also heard good things about it generally, but nothing as to its ability with Fuji files.

Now Fuji owners can use Capture one for free. I haven't tested this yet, I'm not sure how much is different from the commercial version, but I think it's definitely worth a try:

https://www.phaseone.com/en/Capture-One/Download/Capture-One-Express-Fujifilm.aspx

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

I downloaded the free lite version of C1 for Fuji as it is getting a lot of positive support on the Fuji X forum, and it seemed to do a nice job of converting my X-T3's RAW files.  I spent a little time trying to figure out the layout & tool functions, but ultimately decided I really didn't want to have to completely learn another editing system.  Also since I still might need to use Photoshop for anything C1 was unable to do,  it would mean having to figure out all the ways where something could be done in both apps, & then decide which to use because it was either better or lacking in C1.  And I think, in my opinion at least, that I prefer the conversion from RAW to DNG that I get with Iridient X-Transformer, which only cost $30 US & I think better integrates with Lightroom.  So having C1 for RAW conversion use only, seemed redundant & a bit cumbersome to me.  But that is just my opinion as an old ****, & many others might think differently.

I dabbled with C1 during my brief unhappy time with Sony and got better results than I was getting with LR but they're both very bloaty software and slowed my machine down. C1 is very popular for those who tether i.e. studio photographers. I know a lot of folk swear by Irident for Fuji RAW files but it's one I've not tried. Anyway, I'm very encouraged by AP, using the Serif convertor it's producing some really good results it just needs a basic lightbox, like Raw Therapee, for file sifting.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a Fuji X-T20 owner. With affinity, I use Iridient X-Transformer. It really improves the RAW conversion. I read that there is an improvement of X-trans conversion in the next 1.7 version of Affinity Photo. Capture One Express Fuji is a really good RAW converter. You can tweak ligh, colors contrast and details. On1 Photo RAW 2019 is an excellent RAW converter for Fuji users. No need to use the Iridient X-Transformer tool with it. But it needs a really powerfull computer if you want to go on deep retouching. One excellent thing in On 1 is that you have a full non destructive retouching of your RAW (witch is not the case in Affinity Photo). You can save many versions of your retouching since all the changes are just written in an XML file. And finally, you can export your job as a PSD file that can easily open in Affinity to go further.

When using Affinity as a RAW converter with my X-T20, I found that I had a small magenta color cast in the blue of the skies that was difficult to remove using only white balance tool. I found last night that the problem seems to come from the curve applied by the developp wizard. To avoid it, I must disabled this curve and then create a custom one in the Develop Personna where I act on the red channel and push it down  a little bit.

The other solution is to open the RAF file in On1, make basic adjustments or more and save it as a PSD file to open it in Affinity. Then there is no more magenta color cast and I can finish je job in Affinity.

See you guys !

System : i5 6600 QuadCore 3.3GHz, Gigabyte Z170 HD3 DDR4, 32 Gb DDR Ballistix Sport LT, MSI Aero ITX GTX 1050Ti, Windows 10 Pro 64bits

Hello!

I'm a Fuji X and GFX user and use Affinity photo for finishing my edits.  When it first came out, I tried it as a raw converter.  It works well on bayer sensors, but not so great on XTrans sensors.

But if you want the best way to convert raw - go Capture One (get the free version for Fuji shooters).

My workflow is to do the majority of my work in Capture One Pro 11 > roundtrip into Affinity Photo for further sweetening and retouching (save the file as PSD) > back to C1for exporting according to client needs.   

I love this combo compared to the nearly 12 years I worked in Adobe LR and Photoshop... talk about bloat-ware (Adobe is a pig)!  Capture One and Affinity run beautifully even on my son's MacBook with the M3 processor.

• Staff
On 11/17/2018 at 1:48 AM, john6v51 said:

but not so great on XTrans sensors.

I just want to let you know that our latest Photo Beta has reimplemented support for XTrans sensors. You're welcome to download the beta and give it a try! :) 

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

I'm a Fuji-X Shooter as well, though I'm using the even more esoteric EXR sensor with dual-subframes, which Affinity to date has not supported terribly well. I'm hopeful that the latest beta addresses any number of these shortcomings, but currently, I use Fuji RFC to do all my developing and then dump into Affinity for further compositing or editing. I tried CaptureOne Fuji edition, but found it lacking in comparison to Fuji RFC when it came to color/brightness accuracy. I also tested every free RAW developer I could find, and found them all to handle the EXR RAFs with varying levels of inadequacy. Bayer images from my wife's X-A1 did not suffer any issues with any of the other engines I tested, including Affinity.

• Staff
On 11/19/2018 at 7:16 PM, john6v51 said:

Any chance you're supporting film simulations?

No plans currently but we never say never!