You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

When I try to open the raw file in .pef or .dng format from my Pentax k5 ii the file is scrambled as shown in the attached.

This seems to be a recent phenomenon and may have started after I updated my Mac to Mojave V10.14

Has anyone else had the same issue?

Any ideas about a solution would be gratefully received,

Many thanks

Screenshot 1.png

• Staff

Hi MartinF,

Welcome to the forums :)

Could you please confirm, are you using Serif Labs RAW engine or Apple Core? Both are compatible with your camera, but the issue may be isolated to one and not both.

I've seen something similar to this before (see thread below), and this problem was only occasional. Could you please try closing the RAW development and opening the image again? Does it appear correctly?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Thank you,

The way I'm opening the raw file is to drag it from the SD card image list to the Affinity desktop. I'm using Affinity Photo 1.6.7

I did try Closing AP and reopening the file but got the same problem. I then tried forcing a quit and restarting AP but still the same problem!

I don't get the same problem when opening raw files from my Fuji X20 (.raf) or when opening .jpg files from any camera.

This would suggest that the problem seems to lie with Affinity's RAW engine with respect to .pef and .dng files. I'm also beginning to suspect the upgrade to Mojave may be something to do with it!

I don't get the same problem with my Windows version of AP but as my Apple is my main system I'd like to find a solution.

Martin

1 hour ago, MartinF said:

Hello,

When I try to open the raw file in .pef or .dng format from my Pentax k5 ii the file is scrambled as shown in the attached.

This seems to be a recent phenomenon and may have started after I updated my Mac to Mojave V10.14

Has anyone else had the same issue?

Any ideas about a solution would be gratefully received,

Many thanks

Screenshot 1.png

I am a Fuji X shooter & have been for quite some time.  In the past I have had no problems converting my Fuji X RAW files & editing them in Affinity Photo (v.1.6.7).  However I have just acquired one of the new X-T3 cameras with the new sensor & processor & I cannot open any of its RAW (RAF) files in Affinity Photo.  Oddly the app sees the file & some EXIF info about the image (lens & settings) but if I try to use the open command, it gives me a warning window about profile conversion but then it crashes.  I also use Lightroom & I use the Iridient X Transformer for my conversion of the RAF files to DNG.  And I can import those same Fuji X images into Affinity Photo if I open them as DNG files.  When doing so I do not experience the duplicate or multiple images that you are showing & that apparently has been a problems with some other users in the past.

• Staff

Hi jedorme :)

Unfortunately the X-T3 isn't a supported RAW camera currently, both in Serif Labs and Apple Core, my apologies. Hopefully it will be supported in the future.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

6 hours ago, Dan C said:

Unfortunately the X-T3 isn't a supported RAW camera currently, both in Serif Labs and Apple Core, my apologies. Hopefully it will be supported in the future.

Thanks very much for this heads up, which explains the problems I was having trying to use Affinity Photo 1.6.7 to convert my X-T3's RAF files.  I hope it won't be too long before this camera will be included, as in the past, AP has been a much better RAW converter of X-Trans files than either Lightroom or Adobe Camera RAW in my opinion.

10 hours ago, Dan C said:

Hello Dan C,

On the Apple forum, one of the members stated he was already able to convert Fuji X-T3 RAW files, & when i inquired if he could use the Develop tools to edit the image & then click on the Develop tab to move into the Persona module, he said he could do both.  Here is a screenshot he attached to show an X-T3 RAW file in his Develop module.  Can you please explain this to me?

image.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-21 at 5.59.00 PM.png

• Staff

Affinity may open the file, but it's likely that it won't be able to interpret the data correctly, so your images may look flat with no lens distortion applied, or wildly wrong (such as a totally black image).

Some users convert unsupported RAW images to DNG files before importing them into Affinity, but again we can offer no guarantees this will work correctly as the RAW data remains the same.

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 3 months later...
On 10/22/2018 at 12:46 AM, jedorme said:

Hello Dan C,

On the Apple forum, one of the members stated he was already able to convert Fuji X-T3 RAW files, & when i inquired if he could use the Develop tools to edit the image & then click on the Develop tab to move into the Persona module, he said he could do both.  Here is a screenshot he attached to show an X-T3 RAW file in his Develop module.  Can you please explain this to me?

image.png

That's exactly the X-T3 RAW sample image I tried yesterday with the Win 1.7.x beta and it opened there too in a similar manner, looking uncutted Ok, but instead with the build-in Serif engine (even that cam isn't stated to be supported yet). - BTW used that X-T3 RAW from here (below are RAWs on that page)

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2