You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo User Interface (UI) Scaling

I have a 3440x1440 widescreen monitor. Buttons, tabs, sliders, and anything to click on in Affinity Photo application's user interface all come up rather small for my aging eyes - so much so that I can't tell what tool is what. Is there a setting or a clever way to make them bigger, without messing around with the Windows' own desktop scaling? Thanks.

• Staff

Hi Alinoyan,

Welcome to the forums :)

1 hour ago, Friksel said:

It would help if you inform us if you're working on Windows or Mac

I believe they did, with the following sentence but I may be incorrect.

7 hours ago, Alinoyan said:

Is there a setting or a clever way to make them bigger, without messing around with the Windows' own desktop scaling?

The answer, if you are using Windows, is that Affinity scales with Windows desktop scaling only currently, and doesn't have a built in option to enlarge the UI, my apologies.

You can change a few things, like the tool handle size under Edit>Preferences>Tools, but the overall UI scaling is takes from the Windows provided percentage.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I keep returning to Adobe apps because I grow tired of squinting.  It's irritating and counter productive.  I'm dismayed this issue has remained after so many other improvements.  You've created a fantastic mansion burt all the ceilings are on five feet high!

2020-02-27_07-08-40.png

I wish Affinity product managers realized how large of a bang for buck they'd get with the usability enhancements (fixes?) like this one. Releasing new functionality is great but if I can't see the darn buttons my screen, does it matter how cool or good is the new function? Your investment into it is wasted because I am not going to be able to use it.

4 minutes ago, Alinoyan said:

investment into it is wasted because I am not going to be able to use it

Exactly!  I've been a keen supporter from the beginning and would like to be finished with Adobe but for all it's glorious features I can't spend hours struggling with such a fundamental aspect of a professional application.  The Mac has been running the iris 144 display standard since before Affinity came out with it's applications so again it's discouraging to have to still have this obstacle.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

I stopped using this program and uninstalled it in 2019, *only* because of this UI scaling issue. When 1.9 was released I reinstalled it and I was hopeful that this may have been addressed, but nope. It's still the same, minute text and icons. All the new stuff in 1.9 is appreciated, but what use is it if I can't use them?

I cannot understand for the life of me why Serif is refusing to give the user what they need to, well, stay being users.  This is a functionality asked for by many - in fact I'd challenge you to show me one other feature that has more requests than the proper UI scaling.... You can't..

Please fix this.

• 1 year later...

Why does Affinity refuse to achknowledge this input from their users? Instead of just stating "It's not possible", how about "We hear your feedback and will improve our apps"?

• Most corporations wants feedback from their users, so they can improve their product, because it increases sales.
  • Adobe, your biggest competitor, has the option to scale the interface.
  • Your target audience usually have high resolution monitors, and those are the ones that typically have scaling issues.

You are not just ignoring your paying users concert, you are actively stopping Affinity programs from becoming better and more userfriendly

• 5 weeks later...

Because "it's not their fault" if the OS scaling or other applications' handling of it are botched. Presumably, every other program on this Earth should be updated instead, I'll let you judge whether or not it is a realistic goal. I still hope that stance changes at some point, because it seems to be truly ideological in spite of their own customer needs.