DM1

Designer v 1.6.3.44 update fixes and fails

Is there a list of fix’s and changes incorporated in release 1.6.3.44???

I can confirm that I can again import Styles from iCloud and Dropbox (but not from folders managed in Documents by Readdle).(Improved, not fixed).

Select and move appear to be working better with Apple Pencil in simple drawings. (Improved?)

Object selection with Selection Tool in complex drawing with many groups is often not possible. (Not fixed).

Assets - Black icons show more clearly on a grey background. (Fixed)

Symbols - Black symbols not clearly visible. Background still too dark. (Not fixed)

Symbols - Copying a synchronised symbol and pasting into new project crashes Designer. (Not fixed)

Rope stabiliser- when used with pencil and pressure on, the app still freezes. Number of strokes required varies from a few dozen to over a 100.  (Not fixed).

SVG Export - jagged artifacts. ((according to OP) this is fixed).

Colour studio colour picker freezes the app. (Not fixed).

IPad Pro 10.5 512GB iOS 12.3.1 Affinity Photo 1.7.2.146 Affinity Design 1.7.1.1 Publisher for iPad ?

The last sentence does’nt involve my iPad Pro 12.9” 2017 - rope stabilizer with pen pressure works flawless!

But, it would be nice if the guys at Serif could make a list of bugfixes and improvement...

By the way, this copy and paste symbols between documents also work without hassle on my iPad Pro!

A matter of facts, I also could export Styles to Onedrive from my MS Surface Pro 4 to my iPad Pros Affinity Designer!

What model of iPad have you? iOS version?

15 hours ago, ErrkaPetti said:

The last sentence does’nt involve my iPad Pro 12.9” 2017 - rope stabilizer with pen pressure works flawless!

I'm sure it does. Now try with the Pencil tool. 9_9

Try drawing lots of short random lines with the pencil tool and pressure setting on. Then draw more after turning on the rope stabiliser. After a short time the app freezes. This is repeatable too. Sometimes it happens quickly, sometimes it takes a while.

IPad Pro 10.5 512GB iOS 12.3.1 Affinity Photo 1.7.2.146 Affinity Design 1.7.1.1 Publisher for iPad ?

A matter of facts, I also could export Styles to Onedrive from my MS Surface Pro 4 to my iPad Pros Affinity Designer!

Hadn’t been able to 'Import' Styles from ANY source in the release prior to this one. Now I can at least import Styles from iCloud but nowhere else. Further testing shows I cannot Export the apps Designer folder on iCloud. Go figure, I can export to a folder I created called Designer, just not the apps folder. (Another bug).

CC8B98BB-4077-4FFF-A22A-CCEBB528BF61.jpeg

867529C1-E7FB-40BE-8361-2B313F32A80C.jpeg

By the way, this copy and paste symbols between documents also work without hassle on my iPad Pro!

3 synchronised symbols. Change colour on one changes the others. Then 'copy' one symbol and open new project. Paste and AD crashes. >:(

What model of iPad have you? iOS version?

It’s in my sig.  iPad Pro 10.5 512gb. iOS 12.01 rel vers.

@DM1 - now I’ve tested more on this topics on my iPad Pro...

And, you’re as an veteran here has right!

The rope stabilizer thing first: I have to do up to 250-300 pencilstrokes with my Apple Pencil before the app crash...

And, this copy and paste symbols, you never mention that is was an synchronized symbol (crash for me too)...

But, export/import Styles between my iMac/Surface Pro 4/iPad Pro12.9” works flawless...

The difference, I have iOS 12.1 beta 4 in my iPad Pro...

@ErrkaPetti Hi, Sorry to hear it affects you too. The rope stabiliser is a bit variable, sometimes 100's of strokes, sometimes just a few dozen, really annoying.

I can import Styles from ICloud ok (with the current version) but not from local iPad (via Files) or Dropbox (via Files). 

Can you import Styles stored locally on your iPad or from Dropbox?

Can you export styles from your iPad to the Designer app folder on ICloud (the folder with the affinity logo)?

Mine fails on both these. In one case the style files are greyed out (inaccessible) and in the last case there is no 'Add' button appearing to allow me to save. I think this may be linked to my have set the app to save to iPad. It seems to prevent 'writing' to the other iCloud folder.

It is a great app but I do wish they would identify reported bugs with a log number and let us know which logged bugs have been fixed with each release. Every other app company I have dealt with does that as standard procedure.

Don't Serif developers log bugs and  bug fixes!! Is it really trial and error.....O.o

I agree, we need a release history, the trend on many many apps now is to give a bland, “we continue to improve our product”.

It’s so annoying, every time they release a new version I convince myself that the colour picker in the colour studio is working fine with the Apple Pencil, at least this time I waited 5 minutes or so and yup it’s stopped working again. In my video I start by showing that it has stopped working, I close it down and try again and it starts working again for several minutes. It then it stops again.shortly after the video ends.

I am also on latest IOS beta and am finding Dropbox etc working fine, see  video below.

Affinity Photo 1.7 and Designer 1.7 on MACOS Catalina Beta, Affinity Photo 1.7 and Designer 1.7 on iPad Pro 9.7" iPadOS 13 beta, Affinity Photo 1.7 on Windows 10

https://www.facebook.com/groups/affinityforipad/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

@Paul Mudditt Hi Paul, it’s frustrating to see multiple bugs reported and passed on to Developers. Unfortunately that seems to be the last we hear of them. The guys are obviously working hard to fix things but how hard would it be to assign a number to each fault and then list that fault number in a release note when the fault has been fixed. >:(>:( Rant over. :$

I have my iPad set to local storage which results in some interesting outcomes. I will limit them to the current release.

1. I cannot import Styles from any of Documents (Readdle app) folders but I can export Styles to Documents folders. This is my most used, go to app for managing files.

2. I can import Styles from the Designers (icon on folder) folder in iCloud, however, I cannot Export Styles to that folder.

3. I can export and import Styles in Dropbox or to any folder that I 'create' on ICloud (just cannot export to the Designer apps folder on iCloud.)

4. I cannot import Styles from ANY folder accessed through 'on my iPad’ in Files. I CAN export Styles to these folders through 'on my iPad '.. Once saved I cannot import the saved Styles from 'on my iPad' folders.

5. 1-4 above all apply to Brushes as well.

6. I've added colour studio colour picker issue to my opening post. ;)

Its a great app, just a shame that follow up actions by developers are so poorly communicated. It just seems like a wasted opportunity by Serif to reasure their customers that their issues are being addressed in a timely and professional manner.

Hi all,

The latest update was a hot fix and fixed an issue where .afstyles files weren't able to be imported by Designer on iPad as far as I know there were no other fixes in this update.

Thanks

Callum

1 hour ago, Callum said:

The latest update was a hot fix and fixed an issue where .afstyles files weren't able to be imported by Designer on iPad as far as I know there were no other fixes in this update.

Hi Callum, there-in lays the problem. If the update had stated it was simply a hotfix to address Styles importing issues, users would not be concerned at all the other apparent faults that appeared not to have been addressed. 

Speaking of Styles any reason the app will not export to the 'official' iCloud Designer folder when the app settings are local on iPad? I can export to other folders on cloud just not the Designer folder with the icon.

On 10/20/2018 at 5:31 AM, DM1 said:

Rope stabiliser- when used with pencil and pressure on, the app still freezes. Number of strokes required varies from a few dozen to over a 100.  (Not fixed).

same for me. it even got worse.. its unusable

@PuppyPuppyPuppy No, I think this was to address an issue where NO Styles could be imported from anywhere (that was the issue I had too), and which has been partially resolved in that I can import from iCloud and Dropbox but unfortunately not from Documents on iPad (where most of my files are stored).

On 10/20/2018 at 4:31 AM, DM1 said:

Same here 

Designer iPad-2018-10-31-084412.ips

The problem is that after freezing and restarting the app about 80% of the lines are no longer present. For a complex illustration in comic style, I quickly draw 200 individual lines and it is all the more important to me that this tool is stable. Starting over and over again at 20% of the drawing is very frustrating.

9 hours ago, SandraM said:

You can adjust the auto-save to save after a lower number of lines have been put down - that has helped, but I agree with your frustration

The problem is that after freezing and restarting the app about 80% of the lines are no longer present. 

15 hours ago, Boldlinedesign said:

You can adjust the auto-save to save after a lower number of lines have been put down - that has helped, but I agree with your frustration

Hello Boldlinedesign, thanks for the tip, I lowered the value. :)