You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Google fonts

Today I saw publishing software that had the fonts grouped. One group was Google open source fonts. There were a ton of Google fonts to choose from.  If selected,  a font would automatically install on my computer. It was in either Xara or Viva. It was a great feature. Actually, since I will use Affinity Publisher I could go back to this software before my trial ends and load all fonts I might want to use in the future.

14 minutes ago, Fixx said:

Have you tried FontBase? I think it supplies access to Google Fonts. https://fontba.se/

So it would seem! When I followed your link, I saw this:

Use any font from Google's library in a single click! As if it were local.

If you like, you can go to GitHub and download the entire current Google Fonts collection as a zip archive. Alternatively, you can sync the collection with git, allowing you to update by only fetching what has changed. There’s more information about that here: https://github.com/google/fonts

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks for all the helpful replies!

I bought a font recently for dyslexic versions of two books.  The big issue about some fonts is that a print license can be very reasonable, but if you use that same font for an e-book watch out. It can require a totally different license and the price goes way up. 

There is a certain style of font I need for children's books. I see many bundles of "commerical licensed" fonts on hungryjpeg.com

But there is a bundle on their sister site. Fifty (50) fonts like I need for $14, with a full commercial license. But the deal will be over in 4 days. Many of the fonts in the bundle sell individually for $9-$12. Sometimes they offer a deal from one foundry for a few days for cheap. But I haven't seen many font bundles that has what I need.

I really like the way Affinity Publish works with fonts, so I will probably get that bundle.

https://craftbundles.com/bundle/88121-the-salt-and-pepper-fonts-bundle/

Alfred, Thanks for the link. I followed the link and the fonts are nicely displayed. I found the difference between the publishing software I was testing and the site is that the software automatically installs the font, saving a few steps. 

Fixx, Good site. Thanks

Thanks for all of the comments!!

17 minutes ago, BobJax said:

I bought a font recently for dyslexic versions of two books.

Was that Christian Boer’s Dyslexie font, or something else? Another one that springs to mind is OpenDyslexic, which (as its name suggests) is free and open source.

Alfred spacer.png

23 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Was that Christian Boer’s Dyslexie font, or something else? Another one that springs to mind is OpenDyslexic, which (as its name suggests) is free and open source.

It was Lexie Readable by Keith Bates. It was interesting to email back and forth to the font creator with questions.  Sometimes I think the best Dyslexic font is Comic Sans, for Kid's books. The studies don't confirm much. Once you start making claims that a book is prepared for a Dyslexic reader an author can get slammed if the font doesn't help. A book written in OpenDyslexic got a bad review on Amazon for that reason. I did a lot of other things besides the font to try to get it right. I am not dyslexic so had to do a lot of research.

32 minutes ago, BobJax said:

It was Lexie Readable by Keith Bates. It was interesting to email back and forth to the font creator with questions.  Sometimes I think the best Dyslexic font is Comic Sans, for Kid's books.

I see that the page for Lexie Readable on DaFont.com describes it as ‘Comic Sans for the grown-ups’.

Alfred spacer.png

28 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

I see that the page for Lexie Readable on DaFont.com describes it as ‘Comic Sans for the grown-ups’.

Yes, it also says" an attempt to capture the strength and clarity of Comic Sans without the comic book associations." Comic sans is one of the most picked on fonts but is a great font for many young readers. The line I dislike the most is "Comic Sans without the comic book associations" . A young reader doesn't think, "Oh great, Lexie Readable doesn't have comic book associations." Just don't use Comic Sans as your Annual Report font.:)