Ingrid K

Affinity ARW image problems

I'm new with affinity photo editor and the problem is when I'm shooting with my Sony camera in RAW and trying to open my photos in preview it seems normal, but at the time I open in Affinity it looks like fisheye photo or smth (I attached photos below ). I can't find any information anywhere. Maybe someone knows what the problem is and can help me with it?:))

Screenshot 2018-10-19 at 19.25.26.png

Screenshot 2018-10-19 at 19.25.34.png

Hi Ingrid K,

Welcome to the forums :)

Could you please confirm what model camera your images originated from, and which lens kit you're using?

This looks as if the raw file is including more pixels around the edges, except at the corners. These are not included in the preview nor the saved jpeg. It is up to you whether you keep these extra pixels or you crop them in the develop module. Check the pixel dimensions of your two images.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.7 and Designer 1.7, (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

1 hour ago, >|< said:

Cropping the image is not going to correct the lens distortion.

True, but I was not addressing lens distortion. There may or may not be distortion in the image as seen. However there are obviously extra pixels.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.7 and Designer 1.7, (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Barrel distortion, yes. But not all that blatant if I could not spot it without superimposing the images. Had I been explicitly looking for barrel distorion, I might well have discovered it myself. I will concede that barrel distortion could contribute to the apparent vignetting.

John

14 minutes ago, >|< said:

There is blatant barrel distortion in the screen shot of Affinity.

On 10/20/2018 at 1:03 PM, >|< said:

Ensure lens correction is enabled in Affinity's Develop Assistant or switch the raw engine to Apple instead of Serif in the Develop Assistant and then try opening the raw file again.

Lens correction is enabled but when I choose Apple raw engine it opens my picture like that. :o 

Screenshot 2018-10-21 at 14.31.26.png

On 10/20/2018 at 2:29 PM, Dan C said:

Hi Ingrid K,

Welcome to the forums :)

Could you please confirm what model camera your images originated from, and which lens kit you're using?

I'm shooting with Sony a6500 + 18-135mm lens :) 

Thanks for that! Opening the RAW in Serif Labs provided the same result with the vignetting and no lens correction, this is because the lens is unfortunately not currently supported so you will have to correct this manually, should you choose to use Serif Labs.

However, I opened the RAW on my Mac with Apple Core enabled and the image opened correctly, with the automatic lens correction applied.

Screenshot%202018-10-22%20at%2009.21.42.

Could you please confirm, what version of OSx are you running? If you close the image, check that you're still using Apple Core and open the image again, do you see the same tiling effect?

3 hours ago, Dan C said:

Thanks for that! Opening the RAW in Serif Labs provided the same result with the vignetting and no lens correction, this is because the lens is unfortunately not currently supported so you will have to correct this manually, should you choose to use Serif Labs.

However, I opened the RAW on my Mac with Apple Core enabled and the image opened correctly, with the automatic lens correction applied.

Screenshot%202018-10-22%20at%2009.21.42.

Could you please confirm, what version of OSx are you running? If you close the image, check that you're still using Apple Core and open the image again, do you see the same tiling effect?

I'm using macOS Mojave.

I tried to open it again like you said, but unfortunately it's still the same. ://  So I guess I just need to fix it manually, am I right?

I too am running Mojave, so your image should open correctly using the Apple Core RAW engine.

Resetting your app back to default settings may help, you can reset your app back to its default settings by holding down the CTRL key while launching the app. When the Clear User Data window appears, click Select All and then Clear.

Be aware that resetting your app back to its default settings will lose any custom settings such as keyboard shortcuts and brushes etc. To backup such settings before resetting the app, please watch our Affinity - Exporting User Settings and Keyboard Shortcuts video.

19 minutes ago, Dan C said:

I too am running Mojave, so your image should open correctly using the Apple Core RAW engine.

Resetting your app back to default settings may help, you can reset your app back to its default settings by holding down the CTRL key while launching the app. When the Clear User Data window appears, click Select All and then Clear.

Be aware that resetting your app back to its default settings will lose any custom settings such as keyboard shortcuts and brushes etc. To backup such settings before resetting the app, please watch our Affinity - Exporting User Settings and Keyboard Shortcuts video.

With Apple raw engine after resetting the Affinity photo and the same thing is with the Sherif Labs - vignette effect  Don't know why it's still with the same problem. :| 

Thank you though for your help :) , and if there's nothing more to do I think I will do it manually. 

Screenshot 2018-10-22 at 15.42.50.png

Sorry to hear it! I've passed this directly through to development with a copy of your RAW file to investigate so hopefully it can be fixed shortly :)