You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Column configuration

Thank you for pointing to that Seneca!

Mind you when I go and create a 5 column text frame I notice that

- I can not see all 5 columns' details (only 4 are visible in the screenshot)

- right hand edge scrollbar needs to be always on when needed, or the toolbox needs to grow to accommodate all the fields (preferred).

- several of the columns have different widths by default, i'm not sure why that is. I would always expect them to be the same to start!

- Toggle ui (Tab key) should be ignored once I click inside a field to edit it as normal editor behaviour is to be able to use tab to navigate between fields.

884493231_ScreenShot2018-10-21at9_12_21PM.png.912f198190ff4eaada0125da8ea8767e.png

19 hours ago, theconsultant said:

- I can not see all 5 columns' details (only 4 are visible in the screenshot)

Your Mac's system preferences may not be showing the Vertical scroll unless you use your trackpad or mouse inside the list.

- right hand edge scrollbar needs to be always on when needed, or the toolbox needs to grow to accommodate all the fields (preferred).

Same as above.

- several of the columns have different widths by default, i'm not sure why that is. I would always expect them to be the same to start!

I was seeing the same thing but I was not able to reproduce. Try setting the Column to 1, then increase again back to 5. It should balance itself.

- Toggle ui (Tab key) should be ignored once I click inside a field to edit it as normal editor behaviour is to be able to use tab to navigate between fields.

Unfortunately tabbing moves the selection to the ticker control if you have the setting on your Mac Keyboard preferences to All Controls, in that case tabbing again will Hide UI elements when the selection is on the ticker control. However if you have the setting for Text Boxes and Lists Only, then it does jump to the next text field. If you are in the Width column it will tab to Gutter but once you're in the Gutter field, it no longer tabs and you are stuck. It would be nice if it tabbed to the next Width field below.

884493231_ScreenShot2018-10-21at9_12_21PM.png.912f198190ff4eaada0125da8ea8767e.png

21 hours ago, theconsultant said:

I can not see all 5 columns' details (only 4 are visible in the screenshot)

Check out this short video. It might shed some light on what you might need to do:

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

Neat little video!!!   Looks as though “the consultant” didn’t check the box “Preserve width” when setting the 5 columns.    Seneca has it checked and the columns and gutters are identical.   

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

26 minutes ago, somnolentsurfer said:

But this only allows for columns inside a text frame, not at page level. I need column guides I can snap all my images and text frames to.

Publisher is not going to do column guides at page level because you can only input text in a text frame. Consider making a grid with gutter spacing.

1 hour ago, MEB said:

Hi somnolentsurfer,
There will be more improvements in this area in future versions. Please bear with us while the development progress.

Ah! Good to finally see a response from someone. Thank you. I have to say, given the number of threads there have been on this issue, I'm surprised one hasn't been stickied.

Can we get any word on whether we can expect anything for 1.0?

19 hours ago, rjvela82 said:

Publisher is not going to do column guides at page level because you can only input text in a text frame. Consider making a grid with gutter spacing.

InDesign has page level column guides and text in frames... so far it has worked fine. Even PageMaker had similar method I seem to recall.

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, theconsultant said:

Thanks all of you! This makes a lot more sense now.. and works as expected!

Now to figure out if I can put the Headline, byline and text of an article in the same box... and have the first two spread across the columns, and the last columnized.

Can't (I want an column-override in a text style but I will have to wait). I just make two text frames and flow the text from the single column wide Text Frame into the double or more Text Frame below. If I need the "last columnized" I will place the Headline over the multicolumn Text frame and turn on Text Flow.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.