You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Yes, me again. :P

I found a nice quote from Albert Einstein and wanted to some little graphics to show it in an appropriate way.

The basic "gradient design" is okay, but the picture appears to hard with its sharp border, even though it is elliptical. It would be nice, if the picture would let the gradient background let shine through, but I guess I would need to make the photo's background transparent first - right?

In case you would have other design ideas, just let me know - I am always keen on trying out things. ;) 

Einstein.afdesign

Hi,

Sorry, but first thing I would suggest to use narrow font and to nevet narrow a font like you did. It looks uggly and it's frown upon ;)

Instead of black your background gradient could use a grey or a dark grey, for a less dramatic effect. And you can use big quotes in light grey or a color different from your text at the beginning and at the end to add some graphical elements.

This way you'll have a smoother composition, and perhaps you'll only need to have a gradient in the left part of the portrait.
For the background photo to be transpoarent, you can use a mask.

Can you show the result with this font?

I played with your file, and perhaps a simpler background would give more visibility to the citation.

Einstein2.afdesign

And another version, I changed to pixel persona and rasterised the image layer, then used a zero hardness eraser to feather the image into the gradient, I twisted the gradient to allow the gradient to blend the image and made the bottom left of the gradient a light grey instead of white for a softer look. I changed the font to something that looked hand written and also changed the colour to white.

255594097_ScreenShot2.png.2d9d2378e7b3a27222e68cec6a3a31dd.png

Einstein3.afdesign

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, Wosven said:

Sorry, but first thing I would suggest to use narrow font and to never narrow a font like you did.

I would agree in general, but the font ‘Albert Einstein’ (by Harald Geisler) is a script font which takes up a large amount of horizontal space, so it doesn’t look too bad when made quite narrow.

14551035-B9EE-42F0-84D1-7E4BF2C1BEF6.thumb.png.68d207ef5ed4adb2a3edc8d9edef3c45.png

818401867_AlbertEinstein48pc.png.9321f9737d98d5dffd5046dc2c3a3e95.png

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

12 hours ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

so it doesn’t look too bad when made quite narrow.

When you look at handwriting, you've got a feel of the person (without being graphologist). Look at the narrow script: it's awfull, and the perception is completely different. I would suggest using another font than doing such thing.

Thank you for the good ideas, I will play around with some variants - including trying to make the picture partly transparent. The Einstein font is indeed a bit special - maybe I could squeeze it less and make the overall image less dramatic but rather "gold coloured" ... we will see ... again: THANK YOU ALL - I truly appreciate all the valuable input that I get from you guys!

In case somebody should be interested ... ;) 

I took the original picture, applied transparency with the Transparency tool, put a rectangle in the background, added quotation signs and applied a White Balance Adjustment to all elements in order to give everything a gold colour in order to make it look warmer and older. I also changed the dimensions to a rectangle instead of the square layout, so that the font in its original spacing would fit; I also raised the line height to 125 % for a better spacing. That's it basically, I think.

Final.thumb.png.80aa4f36f9ffd03e1e59d2233c7f24c9.png

Einstein.afdesign