You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher Beta file compatibillity with Official release

Hi all,

If I create my documents with Affinity Publisher Beta, will I be able to open them in the official paid version of Affinity Publisher once it gets released?
I really like to get starting with Publisher but I also know that I have to be cautious since I am dealing with beta software

For now I want to design my own stationary papers that will be send digitally only. However I am afraid that I have to recreate them if the .afpub file structure changes in the official release.

Best regards,

Christiaan

We can't yet guarantee that beta files will load in future versions. We won't break beta files gratuitously, but if we find a bug that needs an incompatible change to the file format we will do that. It's part of what the beta is for.

We also can't guarantee that files which do load will look the same. Changes in text flow are quite likely, which can lead to text wrapping differently or overflowing differently. Such things are a lot harder to notice than an outright failure to load.

Only use release versions for production use! Especially when all you have is a beta of a brand new product.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

We can't yet guarantee that beta files will load in future versions. We won't break beta files gratuitously

Well, can you please NOT have the beta version expire as soon as Release 1 is available?

If both versions can be open simultaneously, then at least a user could copy material from the beta into Release 1.

Whereas if the beta version dies immediately, then that is tantamount to breaking beta files gratuitously.

Thanks.

Using macOS 10.13.6 and Publisher 1.9.3

12 hours ago, cubesquareredux said:

We can't yet guarantee that beta files will load in future versions. We won't break beta files gratuitously

Well, can you please NOT have the beta version expire as soon as Release 1 is available?

If both versions can be open simultaneously, then at least a user could copy material from the beta into Release 1.

Whereas if the beta version dies immediately, then that is tantamount to breaking beta files gratuitously.

Thanks.

The final beta will surely be very close to the first release. I can't imagine we'd make such a radical change as to break file compatibility just a week before release. There wouldn't be time to test it.