You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello!

Affinity Photo is a really good software (except for the constant crashes). But it still lacks a simple basic and very important feature: BRUSH OPACITY CONTROLLED BY PRESSURE. If this option is somewhere hidden, please tell me. Oh and I don't accept that using pressure for the "Flow" option is an alternative. Common guys, many simple and free softwares have this: Krita, Gimp, Blender, or simple and cheap softwares like Artrage. I know this software is not made for digital painting, but I don't use it for that. I use it for render post processing, which is the same as phothography editing. And opacity pressure is very important to softly change masks, to add a bit of overlay or color dodge.

So, (maybe someone already made this request) my suggestion is to simply add an opacity pressure button, just like the one Photo already has to control brush size, right beside it.

Screenshot_199.jpg

I think Affinity refers to Opacity pressure as Accumulation Jitter in the brush settings

Try setting that to pressure and see if it does what you want

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff

Hi Daniel Aubert,

Welcome to the forums :)

We  recommend trying Flow Jitter at 100% set to pressure and Accumulation Jitter between 30%-50%, to closely mimic PS opacity on pressure!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/18/2018 at 10:48 AM, Dan C said:

Hi Daniel Aubert,

Welcome to the forums :)

We  recommend trying Flow Jitter at 100% set to pressure and Accumulation Jitter between 30%-50%, to closely mimic PS opacity on pressure!

When I try this.  Nothing changes.  Pen pressure still controls brush size.  The settings look OK when I go back to check them.  What am I doing wrong?

I'm on the latest version of Affinity Photo and the latest version of MacOS.

Thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for that, with the brush tool selected on the context toolbar there is the following icon next to More - image.png 
Please make sure this setting is set to off, otherwise pressure will always control size. Does this fix your issue? :) 

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• 7 months later...

Dear Affinity,

Can we please just have a "OPACITY" Preset under "Dynamics" with your customary controls as all other settings under Dynamics such as: % Slider / Type (None, Random, "Pressure," ect), for both Photo & Designer.

Also... a Pen: "Force to Opacity" button, as there is now (1.7 update) Brush Pen Size would be great too. Perhaps you might want both settings on also; as this is "again," commonly used and it shouldn't be a headache to figure out.

Opacity & Size are the two most commonly used brush settings! Right now, is the best time to beat Adobe but, the jumping through hoops for having Pen Pressure effect "Opacity" only is annoying! Severely annoying!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To Everyone needing help with Pen Pressure for Opacity (1.7 Update):

Affinity Photo/Designer - Pen Opacity Pressure Settings (As of the 1.7 Update): you do not need to adjust Flow or set Flow to "Pressure," to affect Pen Opacity Pressure.
- All you need to do (via the Context Menu with the Brush selected) is:
 1. select "MORE"
 2. choose "Dynamics"
 3. adjust the "ACCUMULATION" slider to 100% and select "Pressure" from the drop down.
 4. Make sure the "Force Size button" is OFF, via the Context Menu; unless you want your brush pressure to affect both size and opacity at the same time, (which isn't uncommon when used with painting &/or blending). Note: you can also set the size to None via the drop-down menu for size in under More/Dynamics. Note: you may have to do this if you're using custom created brushes, such as some brushes made from Daub.

Affinity Photo/Designer - Advanced Pen Opacity Brush Settings & downloaded/purchased Custom Brushes:
5. Advanced Pen Opacity Pressure: under (Brush/Context Menu/More Button/ Dynamics Tab/ACCUMULATION - Set to 100% & Drop Down to "Pressure)" you can also change the "Curve". The best curve to use is the same one for "size." The Curve button is to the "Right" of the Drop-Down menu in the Brush/More/Dynamics tab. Select a curve and try different curve alignments or create your own. The best one or rather for normal one you would expect (as in Adobe PS) is the curve alignment all the way to the Right (which again, is the same Curve used for Pen Size Pressure).
6. Download/Purchased Brushes and Opacity (very important especially for Designer): a lot of brushes already have multiple settings created from those downloaded, purchased or inherently part of Designer. However, older brushes not made specifically for the 1.7 Affinity update may need some adjusting. Flow and Accumulation are the two biggest sliders you must pay attention to if a brush does not behave correctly as it may have in previous additions of Affinity. Example: Daub | Essentials Brush Pack. Some brushes will need tweaking. I suggest coping the brush from the original and adjusting those there in (and Flow), as needed. That way you can save them and back them up as well!

Hope this helps – Johnny K

PS. Sorry for being so "obvious in my descriptions. I want to be clear with those whom never used Affinity before &/or those coming from Adobe. As I mentioned, Affinity really need to get with the program of adding a "FORCE OPACITY BUTTON" to the context menu as they did for Size and list "OPACITY" in the Brush/Context Menu/More Button/Dynamics with all controls, menus and curve alignments as they do for other brush properties. Kinda ridiculous this hasn't been addressed yet!

• 1 year later...
On 6/29/2019 at 2:45 AM, JohnKon said:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To Everyone needing help with Pen Pressure for Opacity (1.7 Update):

Affinity Photo/Designer - Pen Opacity Pressure Settings (As of the 1.7 Update): you do not need to adjust Flow or set Flow to "Pressure," to affect Pen Opacity Pressure.
- All you need to do (via the Context Menu with the Brush selected) is:
 1. select "MORE"
 2. choose "Dynamics"
 3. adjust the "ACCUMULATION" slider to 100% and select "Pressure" from the drop down.
 4. Make sure the "Force Size button" is OFF, via the Context Menu; unless you want your brush pressure to affect both size and opacity at the same time, (which isn't uncommon when used with painting &/or blending). Note: you can also set the size to None via the drop-down menu for size in under More/Dynamics. Note: you may have to do this if you're using custom created brushes, such as some brushes made from Daub.

Affinity Photo/Designer - Advanced Pen Opacity Brush Settings & downloaded/purchased Custom Brushes:
5. Advanced Pen Opacity Pressure: under (Brush/Context Menu/More Button/ Dynamics Tab/ACCUMULATION - Set to 100% & Drop Down to "Pressure)" you can also change the "Curve". The best curve to use is the same one for "size." The Curve button is to the "Right" of the Drop-Down menu in the Brush/More/Dynamics tab. Select a curve and try different curve alignments or create your own. The best one or rather for normal one you would expect (as in Adobe PS) is the curve alignment all the way to the Right (which again, is the same Curve used for Pen Size Pressure).
6. Download/Purchased Brushes and Opacity (very important especially for Designer): a lot of brushes already have multiple settings created from those downloaded, purchased or inherently part of Designer. However, older brushes not made specifically for the 1.7 Affinity update may need some adjusting. Flow and Accumulation are the two biggest sliders you must pay attention to if a brush does not behave correctly as it may have in previous additions of Affinity. Example: Daub | Essentials Brush Pack. Some brushes will need tweaking. I suggest coping the brush from the original and adjusting those there in (and Flow), as needed. That way you can save them and back them up as well!

Thank you so much for this!! @JohnKon

You're Welcome. I really need to write this over and add some screenshots. I should have proof read it; yikes! I'll update this thread asap.

I am happy you understand what I wrote!. The method I describe, is the best solution I've found so far, for Opacity,  as it should be and as it should work. The method still applies to the 1.8.5 update and counting.

Maybe Serif/Affinity will get off their rears one of these days and make an actual Brush Opacity Slider and a "Force Pen Opacity Button," that works along with the Force Pen Line button as the 3 most used Pen Pressure modes are Line Width, Opacity and/or the combination of both. For the life of me, I cannot understand why they haven't done this to begin with as Opacity is something that is a common need with any and all graphic design software.

Be safe & healthy - JohnKon.

• 5 months later...

Oh lord, this is honestly the biggest thing that's holding me back from using this for digital art. Setting up the Flow and Accumulation for each individual brush just to get Opacity Pen Pressure... is not ideal. Please, add it alongside Pen Pressure Size.

FORCE OPACITY PRESSURE. 🥰

• 5 weeks later...

Hello world, first post here.

I am in the process of transitioning from PS to AP and opacity dynamics are integral to my painting process. Honestly I wasn't satisfied with the offered solutions, as the proposed brush settings yielded nothing like PS behaviour, but I managed to find a solution.

All the buildup and flow tweaking still resulted in a situation like on the left half of attached image ("Like FLOW dynamics in Photoshop") - something like a semi-transparent tube sock where each brush stamp is drawn additively over the previous one, resulting in a very quick buildup. Notice the stroke overlap in the squiggly line and poor tonal range in the other one as I brush from very low to full pressure.

The solution was to set Luminosity Jitter to Pressure. Even a very low value will do and you can play with the curve profile. The result is very similar to Opacity dyamics in Photoshop - no more sock tube and you get great tonal control. Now if you pick a colour and brush at half pressure over another, you easily get a mid-colour between the two, which I find is a very common situation in digital painting.

Hope this is helpful to others, and do let me know if there is a simpler/better solution!

opacity_dynamics.jpg