You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Image placement status between resource manager and layers are not sync

Hi,

The Image placement status between resource manager and layers are not in sync.

Document setup is set on Prefer linked. App preference is set on autmatically update linked file.

Changing the linked file external wil not update the instance in AP. Dubbelclicking the placed image wil open embedded editor. Behavior in all cases is do embedded. 

Using all AD files, AP Version .145 on Windows.725640106_Linkedimages.thumb.jpg.7fb86b729f312cc27da3bede27efb46a.jpg

An "embedded" document in the layers panel is not the same as a linked or "embedded" document in the Resource Manager.  They are referring to 2 different things.

Confusing? Yes, so it may change in a later release but for now the Resources Manager will show the correct information as to whether a document/image is actually embedded or linked

Further reading

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/68392-placing-images-as-preferred-linked-shows-as-embedded-in-layers/

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Even with the two concepts of embedding in mind the following is happening:

Just tried it in a document with the Image Placement Policy set to linked (screenshot no. 1). I insert a Affinity Photo file and it is labelled as embedded. In the resource manager is it labelled as linked, though (see the screenshot no. 2). If I save it the Publisher file size is the same as the standalone photo file (see screenshot no. 3)  ... so it is not working correctly at the moment :-/

Moreover, if I open it again with the photo file moved to another folder it tells me about the missing linked file (see screenshot 4). Something seems not to be synchronized properly. If I choose to ignore this dialog the object on the spread is still behaving like an embedded one.

Btw: In the resource manager the properties of the picture are different. The original size is in pixels and the placed size is in millimeters (coming from the document's settings, I guess). Would be nice to have in the same unit - pixels would be best, I think.

Cheers,
Chris

PS: Tried it also with a TIFF. Same results. :-(

0.PNG.887967fd8c95c160ec8e3dd6cbbcba55.PNG2.PNG.ab9e9008d2b5b1aabf23ac79290636e8.PNG1.PNG.37d531b5859d83a674587f82ae65491f.PNG3.PNG.5bd92e790458d9024eed7fe5f7569476.PNG

PS: If you like maps you might also have a look at this community!
PPS: Want to know more about me and my ways? Head over to an Affinity Spotlight article about me and my maps!
PPPS: Do you love public transit and transit maps too? Then have a look at my home-made collection of transit maps under www.instagram.com/transitdiagrams or www.twitter.com/transitdiagrams

PPPPS: Other works than transit maps can be found here www.behance.net/chrisneuherz 

Linked files are not currently working correctly in APub, that is to say you will not see the greatly reduced file size you would expect in your APub project file by linking files rather than embedding them.

This has been acknowledged by Serif and they say they are working on the problem.

In the meantime linking files is still useful in respect that you can have your images automatically or manually updated when a linked file is changed.

Just dont expect to see any expected file size decrease in your APub file at the moment.

As regards, when moving a file and the linked APub file still appears to work as normal, that observation is correct for now.  Not sure how this will work when we have linked files that are truely linked.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.