Jump to content
Karin

Suggested behavior for guides

Recommended Posts

I've been using Inkscape for a while and the way that guides work there is super easy and I'm struggling with setting up the correct guides in Affinity (or maybe the full functionality is just not obvious for new users?).  I don't seem to be able to drag the guides to correct small errors due to manual calculations.  It looks as if I'm only able to setup guides based on an exact measure or a percentage.

It's suggested that the user is able to create and move guides simply by placing their mouse cursor on the rulers (both horizontal and vertical) and dragging it to where they want to place it.  It is not necessary to open up any menu or go into a function with everything possible on the displayed desktop.  Deleting the guides is as simple as dragging it off the page.  What would be even better than Inkscape is the ability to lock the guide positions.  For example click on a small lock on the ruler next to the guide.

Attached a sample of the Inkscape functionality.

affinity-publisher-guides-as-inkscape.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Karin said:

It's suggested that the user is able to create and move guides simply by placing their mouse cursor on the rulers (both horizontal and vertical) and dragging it to where they want to place it

You can do that already, using the Move Tool.


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.239), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.464 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.4464 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.3.475 Beta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you mean the node tool.

It would be nice in the Guides Manager to have a new guide automatically be highlighted for the value to be entered. What would be really cool is to use the Node Tool to rough out the placement of guides by dragging and then go into the Guides Manager and be able to use some keyboard shortcut to go down through all the guides and just type in the exact value (i.e. round off the roughed in value). Let's say, Option-Tab. So open Guides Manager and see the guides with rough values, such as 1.002 in. Hit Option-Tab and type 1 to set 1 in. and then Option-Tab again to go to the next guide and highlight it. Maybe this is already possible and I have not yet discovered how. This has been the case for me with a few features.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bob Grahame said:

I think you mean the node tool.

If you were referring to my post, no, I meant the Move Tool, as I said. The Move Tool allows you to drag guides out from the rulers; the Node Tool doesn't.


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.239), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.464 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.4464 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.3.475 Beta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

If you were referring to my post, no, I meant the Move Tool, as I said. The Move Tool allows you to drag guides out from the rulers; the Node Tool doesn't.

I can't drag guides from the rulers with the Move Tool, but I can with the Node Tool. I just tested it again in the latest beta version. I notice that you are on Windows. Is it possible for the Mac and Windows versions to be different?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Bob Grahame said:

I can't drag guides from the rulers with the Move Tool, but I can with the Node Tool. I just tested it again in the latest beta version. I notice that you are on Windows. Is it possible for the Mac and Windows versions to be different?

That's certainly possible. If you have Photo or Designer, do you see the same behavior there, or is it unique to Publisher? On Windows all 3 use the Move Tool to drag out a Guide.


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.239), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.464 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.4464 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.3.475 Beta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

That's certainly possible. If you have Photo or Designer, do you see the same behavior there, or is it unique to Publisher? On Windows all 3 use the Move Tool to drag out a Guide.

The Move Tool works for guides in both Photo and Designer on the Mac. So it appears the Mac version of Publisher needs to be changed. No wonder I was surprised when I couldn't do it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bob Grahame said:

The Move Tool works for guides in both Photo and Designer on the Mac. So it appears the Mac version of Publisher needs to be changed. No wonder I was surprised when I couldn't do it!

You might want to report that in the Report bugs in the Publisher Beta on Mac forum, if it hasn't been already.


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.239), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.464 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.4464 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.3.475 Beta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Designer on Windows regardless of the tool selected (except for the Place Image Tool) holding down alt and clicking on the rulers (both X & Y) guides can be placed. If the canvas/document is magnified it, of course, makes for quick precise placement.

In APh and APub guides can be placed this way as well however it'll only work with the Move tool (as far as I'm aware).

I have no idea if this is the same for Mac


https://www.peterdinnan.com/     photography with elements of mood, abstraction, pareidolia, gestalt and the morphics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×