You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Running Titles

This might be something I have overlooked, but I've not been able to find it so far, maybe somebody can point me in the right direction.

I'm looking to use a running title in the footer, similar to the page number, but based on the first title in a page/section/chapter, based on a paragraph style.

This feature works well in InDeisgn, and I use heavily for brochure designs

You can go to View -> Studio -> Fields to show the Fields studio and double-click on a field - e.g. Document Sections / Name - to insert it wherever you want. If you're using section name then you will need to set-up your sections first. I don't know if there's a way to pick up the text from the actual page 'on the fly'.

6 hours ago, GarryP said:

You can go to View -> Studio -> Fields to show the Fields studio and double-click on a field - e.g. Document Sections / Name - to insert it wherever you want. If you're using section name then you will need to set-up your sections first. I don't know if there's a way to pick up the text from the actual page 'on the fly'.

That is how I do it.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 8 months later...

I am getting a duplicate insertion just below the "real" one. Tried backing up and starting over, no go. The duplicate is an exact copy, when I delete the "real" one that I want, the duplicate goes away, too.  ??? 

Screen Shot 2019-06-25 at 11.04.12 AM.png

The top bit has overflow text set in it and I think that is part of the problem. Is the Where are you.... from a master page or what? The bit starting with Then they... is coming in from somewhere, what is in that somewhere? Are you using the Section place-holder?

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

where are ... is the section title, picked up with the appropriate placemarker <section title> on a master page. The other text is the book text.  The problem is the overset text, duplicating the section title. If i delete the marker, they both go away. 

?

Expand that overset text frame and see what is in it.

Good idea. Hmmm... Nothing. Actually, the overset isn't in a frame at all. I can expand the frame of the header, nothing there except the text that's supposed to be. The overset vertical position does change if I change "align to base grid" in the style for the headers, so somehow it is indeed part of the header, just doubling up. One curiosity, though; it, the program, crashes as soon as I try to change the alignment of the headers, including the running header/overset text, to "away from spine." Must be a new feature.

Any other thoughts?  

What are the red dots attached to if not a Text Frame?

1121591071_ScreenShot2019-06-26at10_57_10AM.thumb.png.e5bfc96de0ae04fe892494453611e0c3.png

There are two text frames; an upper one, across the top, that is supposed to have the header only, and a much larger one below it, for body text. 

The problem is that the header text is doubled so it appears below the header, and oversets, and does not have to be in the header text frame. Or in any text frame, for that matter, it just oversets whatever is there. I can change the leading between the "real" header text and it's shadow text, moving it up and down to my heart's content relative to the upper, real text, but I can't get rid of the shadow text entirely. If I expand the upper text frame, the one for the header, the shadow text is still there but I cannot manipulate or delete it, it's not part of that text frame. It appears to overwrite everything. Likewise, shrinking the upper text frame doesn't make it go away, nor does moving the lower text frame. In fact, on a page with only the header text frame, I still have the shadow text, outside of the text frame. 

The header is invoked as a section title; if I just enter it manually, I don't get the shadow. That is, just typing something in to the header is not a problem. It's only when I use <section title> in the master page header that I have a problem, so pretty clearly that's the root of it. Now why, and what to do with it, is another question. 

I will wager you have entered the Where Are You From? in the Section Manager's Section Name field with a copied carriage return and pasted it in twice. Go to the Section Manager and re-type it in once. Place the cursor in the field in the Section Manager and just start deleting characters until it is empty.

• 3 months later...

For book design, I use the folio/running header for section names, and I define a certain paragraph style as a <Section Name>. This is vital for my use since the book may have hundreds of subsections within a given text, and the header needs to be produced automatically to show the first or last section name on the page as the running header. There is no way to do this reasonably by hand, and InDesign allows for this feature as a normative process. I can't seem to figure it out with Publisher. Any help?

Welcome to the forums Anthony.
If you open the Fields Panel (menu View → Studio → Fields) you can scroll down to find the “Document Sections” tab.
If you then open that tab you will see a “Section name” field.
Double-click on the field name (“Section Name”) on the left to insert the automatically-updated section name into the text frame you are currently editing.
If you do this in a text frame on a master page and apply the master page where you want to see the section name that should get you what you need, unless I’ve misunderstood your requirements.
If this isn’t what you want then attaching some examples may help us to figure out what you need to do.

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

If you open the Fields Panel (menu View → Studio → Fields) you can scroll down to find the “Document Sections” tab.
If you then open that tab you will see a “Section name” field.
Double-click on the field name (“Section Name”) on the left to insert the automatically-updated section name into the text frame you are currently editing.
If you do this in a text frame on a master page and apply the master page where you want to see the section name that should get you what you need, unless I’ve misunderstood your requirements.
If this isn’t what you want then attaching some examples may help us to figure out what you need to do.

I just realized that InDesign and Publisher use 'sections' in a slightly different way. For my use within InDesign, I am able to attach a paragraph style to 'sections' so that anytime I use a particular paragraph style, it creates what they refer to as a 'section', and then I can do as you say, and put the <Section Name> into a folio of a master page. Within Publisher, however, I can't seem to find an equivalent of this. There really isn't a possibility of me creating manual 'sections' for subheads, as there are a ton, and they don't exactly fit the purpose of sections of a book, per say. They are just subheads within a larger section, or chapter. 

Ah, sorry but you’ve gone beyond my understanding in this area (I was hoping there would be a quick fix that would let you continue).
Somebody else might be able to help more but I’m fairly sure that Publisher can only do sections by whole pages rather than adding them ‘on-the-fly’ by using styles. I could be wrong though so you might get a better answer from someone else.
If, in the end, you can’t do what you want then you can always add a feature request.

• 2 years later...

Running headers a la ID would really be nice. I do anthologies with different writers writing on the same subject, but with different headings. A running header makes it easy for the reader to jump around in the book, or to quickly search it without resorting to the TOC.

The correct way to insert running headers is not to divide up your book into sections, but to define running headers on the Master Page, which simply are fields that pick up a style, for instance, "Heading 1” and ”Writer Name”, any time they are used in the layout, and with the possibility to insert desired punctuation in between. The end result, with another Style formatting the running header itself, looks like (I usually put them on the upper part of the page):

Rabbe SandelinOn the subject of Running Headers

and a few pages foward

Sabbe RandelinWhy We Need Running Headers (and Footnotes)

17 hours ago, Samm said:

Not sure I follow; post an example? 

This is actually a fairly common thing.  Let's say you have paragraph styles Heading1 and Heading2.  In systems that support it (Affinity Publisher currently does not), you have fields like (names are made up) "FirstHeading1ContentOnCurrentPage" and "FirstHeading2ContentOnCurrentPage".   You can insert those fields in headers/footers.  So it's quite easy to have both a section name (e.g., "Chapter V") and a running head (e.g., "Gunboat Diplomacy", "Geopolitical Setbacks") which changes based on the content on the particular page.

When used for running headers/footers, you generally want to pick up the content for the header paragraph in effect at the top of the page.  So if the most recent occurrence of Heading1 was three pages previously, that's the content you will use.  If page starts immediately with a Heading1, then that's the content you will use.

This is something I would definitely use, were it available. Right now I am using the section name workaround. It is slower and one must be vigilant that the section pages don't get out of alignment. I hope defining fields from styles will be available in the future so as to make things like running headers much easier.

• 1 month later...