ianrb

[Fixed] problems 'placing' jpg files

To save me type it all out I will ask first if there is a known problem when using 'place' to add a file or files to a photo ?
I work around it by using tiff files so no dramas; however if more information is needed I'm happy to supply what I know 

And; I think I have caught up with most missed comments to my posts -- I have not been clicking the follow button so sorry if I have missed you. Nothing worse than not acknowledging someone who takes time to reply to one's posts  . 

Hi ianrb!

We're aware of a few minor issues regarding placing images, and are working to improve this function :)

Could you expand on the issues you're having? I can either update our dev reports or create a new one if required! 

I have worked out it has something to with jpg files, and jpg only, exported from Lr5 at 12 inches long x 300 ppi which is the same ppi as tiff/psd at various sizes . Those files open in Ap at 12x9 inches x 300ppi [ tried different sizes with negative results ]. The files start out as Panasonic raw converted to dng or Oly Em1 raw files

The trouble starts when using ''place''; and place only, to add the jpg files to another opened in Ap. I can open file xzx into Ap; the file will be 12x9 inches x 300ppi. Now this is where it get weird . When that same xzx file is placed onto the file already open in Ap the new layer image will be FAR larger than the base layer.
However; I can open the second xzx file >> copy/paste it onto the file already open in Ap without any dramas!!
All the above doesn't happen if tiff or psd files are exported from Lr and there were no problems with jpg files exported from On1
The work around is select all placed files and drag the size in to suit; or export from Lr5 as psd or tiff as I now use. There does not seem to be any damage to the files after being so big.

Not that it likely makes any difference; this is my Lr5>Affinity>Lr5 workflow
When working with a single file >open from Lr as 300 ppi 8 bit adobe rgb tiff. Saved back to Lr as a layered tiff
When making a collage/blending -- something I do a lot > one file opened as above to save file name/keywords/and where it lives > the extra files are exported from Lr at usually 12" long / 300 ppi / jpeg to an "editing" folder > use Ap "place" to add those files as layers. When done the files in the editing folder are deleted.
I hope that make some sense
Works for me but I would be interested to hear better/other ways. 
I'm also happy to try or do anything that may be helpful to staff 

On 10/18/2018 at 6:22 AM, ianrb said:

And; I think I have caught up with most missed comments to my posts -- I have not been clicking the follow button so sorry if I have missed you. Nothing worse than not acknowledging someone who takes time to reply to one's posts  . 

You don’t need to explicitly follow each individual thread. Click on your username in the top right-hand corner of the page, choose ‘Account Settings’ from the dropdown menu and then choose Notification Settings from the ‘Other Settings’ section on the Settings page. Choose your preferred options and press ‘Save’.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

Thanks for confirming that, I've tried placing image x in a document where I already had image x opened, and it placed it at the same size.

If possible, could you provide a copy of an image file where place is bringing in a larger than the 'opened' copy?

On 10/21/2018 at 10:32 PM, Dan C said:

Thanks for confirming that, I've tried placing image x in a document where I already had image x opened, and it placed it at the same size.

If possible, could you provide a copy of an image file where place is bringing in a larger than the 'opened' copy?

Sorry not to reply earlier . I did do a few  tests  earlier but could not  find the  "YES" moment 
It's only jpg - not dramas with tiff so I have been using tiff 
couple from this morning while adding a couple more Lr export preset and experimenting with collage file sizes 
Used 'place' for the first 2 
Hope that helps --- happy the do a bit more if need be . I'm bit of an unorganized  donkey 9_9 when it comes  to this testing stuff

BTW; do you like the Australia "native flowers" -- there are great 'cause they last longer than other flowers :(

201811  04226-1-3.jpg

201811  04226-1-4.jpg

201811  04226-1-5.jpg

Thanks for trying that :)

Could you please check, does the dpi of the document match the dpi of the image? With a 72dpi document and a 92dpi image, when using place the image will be resized to match the documents dpi.

On 11/16/2018 at 11:11 PM, ianrb said:

BTW; do you like the Australia "native flowers" -- there are great 'cause they last longer than other flowers :(

Such a shame :(

On 11/20/2018 at 12:18 AM, Dan C said:

Such a shame :(

australia is bad for planting these flowers; but not as bad as in some asian countries, but then again, they don't have the services we have to be able to do right thing. You would be amazed at the stuff I pick up within a few meters from street rubbish bins
Generally I use 300 dpi x inches but will check settings/sizes 

been fiddling most of the afternoon and have discovered the problem does not happen when the same Pana 10-12mb dng files are exported from On1 ---   the files from on1 were slightly smaller
12 x 9" 300 - 200 - 100 ppi files all open as 12 x 9" when place is used 
when the 3 images are opened into Affinity >C+P as a layer;  the layers image are different sizes on the base layer
exported from Lr > 12 x 9" 300 ppi file opened as a 50 x 30 inch image when placed on a 20 x 30 inch base layer -- the 200ppi was also slightly larger than the 20 x 30 inch base layers (33x25??)
when similar size tiff and jpg files  (12 x 9" 300 - 200 - 100 ppi files) were exported from Lr,  both files at the same ppi  were the same size . From an earlier test the 300 ppi tiff and jpg were 3600 x 2700 Px; while the 240 ppi was 2880 x 2160 Px 
Naturally the jpg and tiff file were different Mb sizes 

All as clear as our sky here at time moment while a dust storm blows through  9_9

_3.jpg

_8.jpg

On 11/20/2018 at 8:34 AM, ianrb said:

You would be amazed at the stuff I pick up within a few meters of street rubbish bins

And of course what we humans are discarding with zero thought into our oceans/waterways. Here's a news article today (Nov 21st Oz time)

https://www.peterdinnan.com/     photography with elements of mood, abstraction, pareidolia, gestalt and the morphics

Thanks for the info and your testing. It appears as though when images are exported from Lightroom, the EXIF data created is different from exporting from Affinity, which is expected. However when using File>Place, the EXIF data section we read to determine the dpi of the image isn't written by lightroom, so the image defaults to 72dpi, causing it to be the incorrect size in the document.

However we read a slightly different section of the EXIF when using File>Open, which is why opening these images is no issue. You can test this by opening an image in AP that's been exported by LR, and exporting it again to JPEG. If you now use File>Place on the image exported from Affinity, you'll see the correct dpi is used and therefore the image is the correct size.

I'm unsure currently if we're checking the incorrect section of EXIF data when using File>Place, or LR isn't writing the correct data at export, but I'll make sure our devs are aware of this and see if we can do anything to improve it in the future.

Thanks for your help with this bug. We have now resolved the problem and will make the fix available in the next release of Affinity Photo on your platform.

13 hours ago, GabrielM said:

Thanks for your help with this bug. We have now resolved the problem and will make the fix available in the next release of Affinity Photo on your platform.

Good to know Gabriel --- thank you for that :)