You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brushes in Affinity Designer

I just tried affinity designer today and very disappointed by its brush.

First it has no "soft" brush. Even if I set the hardness to zero it's still hard compared other software say ps. it got harder when I toggled on the accumulation pressure. 

Second, I found the pressure level is not high enough. The stroke I created in ps has a smoother gradients. The stroke had 80 levels of black and white but the stroke in affinity had only 60 so to speak. 

Did I miss some setting? how to solve these problems?

• Staff

Hi @Ken.fi,

Welcome to the forums. 

Affinity Designer is a Vector software. In the Vector Persona, you do not have a soft brush, because you cannot have a soft vector line - only raster. You would have to switch over to the Pixel Persona if you wish soft lines. But bear in mind that they will be pixel layer, not vectors. 

As for the smooth gradient, it's not a bug, but more of an improvement. I will move this to Feature Requests. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

moved from Affinity on Desktop Questions (Mac and Windows)

7 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

Hi @Ken.fi,

Welcome to the forums. 

Affinity Designer is a Vector software. In the Vector Persona, you do not have a soft brush, because you cannot have a soft vector line - only raster. You would have to switch over to the Pixel Persona if you wish soft lines. But bear in mind that they will be pixel layer, not vectors. 

As for the smooth gradient, it's not a bug, but more of an improvement. I will move this to Feature Requests. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

moved from Affinity on Desktop Questions (Mac and Windows)

Hi thanks. what I used was pixel persona. the soft brush was still hard compared to other painting softwares. I assume this is also something needs to be improved? or a bug?