You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am new to graphic design and photo editing, and bought Affinity Design for a project. But it seems Design does not have a Selection Brush? At least not one I can locate. Is that the case?

In the below image there are seven smaller rings around the center; I want there to be ten smaller rings. It seemed to call for a Selection Brush. Or am I mistaken? Did I buy the wrong program?

Thank you for your patience and any guidance you can offer. 

peter-apians-diagram-of-the-celestial-orbs-from-his-1539-work-cosmographia.jpg

1 hour ago, Lee D said:

Designer has selection tools available in the Pixel Persona. Not sure what you're wanting to do but have you considered using the Eclipse Tool to insert more circles.

Is there realy a tool to block the sun?    :D

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

Hi, Axander,

If you are trying to insert more circles into the above bit-map drawing, you most likely will not want to use the selection brush. It won't be easy, because the circle is not quite regular, and the earth area is somewhat off center, but drawing a new set of "donut" ellipses over the existing rings will probably be the way to go. 

You will need to learn the vector tools, which have the edvantage of making shapes that can be resized and re-shaped. You will also be able to draw symbols which are easier to modify that having to erase and redraw pixel images.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

15 hours ago, Axander said:

photo editing, and bought Affinity Design

For photo editing is definitely more suitable APhoto. Some partial edits are done in ADesigner (pixel persona), but it is more suitable for vector drawing.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

I wold guess that you want to your three extra circles outside the existing seven. Fortunately these do appear to be disjoint from the next circle. I would suggest that you cut out the seven inner circles along with the Earth etc in the centre. Paste these into a new layer and shrink them (using the transform tool) re-centering as needs be. You can now draw the outer circles in the gap using the Ellipse tool. 

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

18 hours ago, Axander said:

In the below image there are seven smaller rings around the center; I want there to be ten smaller rings.

If you add three small rings, what’s going to happen to the three larger rings which are already numbered 8, 9 and 10? :/

The centre circle and the first two rings surrounding it are quite complex, but everything else can be redrawn fairly easily. My preferred approach would therefore be to redraw all the rings apart from the innermost two, and then paste a cropped copy of the three central elements on top.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Re-thinking my suggestion above, a better alternative would be to cut the outermost rings to enlarge and paste back.

I would agree though, that this would greatly benefit by re-drawing as a vector diagram in Designer.  I did look and was surprised that there was not a vector version available. @Axander, now's your chance to be the modern-day Ptolemy.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

I looked around for the source material. It appears that Axander showed something from WikiCommon, and the author link doesn't function. Looking around more, I found a scan of what was one of the originals. The original is deteriorated, and the lettering appears to me to have been done by hand. The contemporary translation is quite good. As mentioned above, it seems some of the circles are a little off center. But fitting more smaller rings within the space of 7 would probably make the image rather hard to view. Letters and symbols all crammed in. 

It would take a fair amount of work, but doing a new build adding to the diameter would produce a better image.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet