You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text boxes ignore document margins when adding pages

I feel like I've found a bug in the way Publisher handles adding pages to a document that has been populated with auto-flow text boxes (the shift-click option). Curious to know if it's just my system.

The Setup:

• New single-page document with inner and bottom margins of 1.25 inches, outer and top margins of 1 inch, and page numbering has been added on master page spread.

• Create a text box on Page 1.

• Right-click on the text box to “Insert text from file” in that text box.

• Shift-click the bottom right text flow arrow to create as many pages as necessary to auto-flow the text.

For my test file, this makes the document a total of 6 pages. The text boxes created are the same size, and conform to the margins set in the document properties, as expected.

The Possible Bug:

At this point, I add an odd number of pages to the document somewhere in the middle of the text auto-flowed pages. For example, I'm on Page 3, and add 1 page after Page 3. The text boxes on all following pages are shifted. So after my new blank Page 4, the text boxes on all subsequent pages (starting at Page 5) do not automatically adjust to conform to the margins set in the document properties. Page 5 still thinks it is the left page in a spread, so the text box does not conform to the document margins.

This would present a problem in something like magazine layout, where you are sometimes placing a single-page ad in the middle of the document, and re-flowing your article around it. Any time you would add a page in your layout, you'd have to manually move all your text boxes in the document! Obviously not an issue if your left and right margins are the same, but I tend to leave a larger inner margin to account for the binding. Can anyone else confirm that they experience this issue?

spreadMarginsCorrect.PNG

spreadMarginWrong.PNG

Well now I feel like a dork for posting it, if it's old news. My bad, but thanks for letting me know, Mike.

Do you know if they have been working on a fix for this, or at least addressed it? I know we need to be patient about "new" features they may add to the program, but this is a pretty fundamental issue of page flow. If it isn't fixed by the end of the beta period, I'd never be able to use Publisher in any workflow.

49 minutes ago, artbymaddesign.com said:

Well now I feel like a dork for posting it, if it's old news. My bad, but thanks for letting me know, Mike.

Do you know if they have been working on a fix for this, or at least addressed it? I know we need to be patient about "new" features they may add to the program, but this is a pretty fundamental issue of page flow. If it isn't fixed by the end of the beta period, I'd never be able to use Publisher in any workflow.

Dunno what's going to happen, Artby...Master pages and how they work need an overhaul.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.