You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text Auto Flow -- great feature Affinity!

9 hours ago, drmajorbob said:

My 445 pages is made up of chapters, each with a title and header image. Does AutoFlow do anything for that? Will I have to repeat the process for each chapter?

Sadly the answers are no and yes. If you place each chapter as one text file then autoflow will flow that chapter/text file. If you have the entire book in one text file then you have to search for each chapter and place your Title and header image there. Tip: group them and apply Text Wrap to the group.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

12 hours ago, drmajorbob said:

My 445 pages is made up of chapters, each with a title and header image. Does AutoFlow do anything for that? Will I have to repeat the process for each chapter?

If all the chapters and the front and back matter are all in one file, you should be able to auto flow the entire book. However, you will have to save it as an rtf file type since it won't accept anything except txt, rtf, and pdf (if I remember correctly). You will also have to create the first four pages (I believe it will generate after that, although I haven't tried it). You will also want to create a master page that has the author name and page number on the left top and the title and page number on the right top of the master. You will probably want to place that above the margin and make the top margin at least 0.6 in down from the top. Also, consult the printer's guidelines for how big the inside and outside margins need to be. You should also not have the images in the document you are flowing, but instead make a note of the image name that you're going to insert on the chapter title pages. If you have footnotes, forget Affinity Publisher for now. I don't know how you'll be able to fiddle the page numbering to start at page one for the first chapter of the book in Affinity Publisher. If you're already using Page Plus, suggest you continue to use it. If you don't and need a desktop publishing program, suggest you go to Serif's legacy products and buy PP9--it's very inexpensive (~$25 USD).

Suggest you look at Affinity's YouTube Publisher tutorial here:

Manually adding 50 images (and a lot else) seems like a non-starter to me, when Scrivener automatically compiles with POV-specific header images based on Label, automatic page and chapter numbering, titles based on document names, and other formatting based on Section Type. I'd have to see serious flaws in Scrivener's output to go through all of that, and I really don't.

I was hoping for a lot more automation of the process.