You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

This really can't be the right size, well?

My hard drive is full fuller fullest. I look wat the problems are, it seems to be files from Affinity photo with almost 500MB per file.

So I look into the files and do some simple tests.

A raw file, I open with Affinity, I develop in plain Serif, so nothing happens, and I save the file.

Look at the size!!! No wonder my hard drive is full, fuller fullest!

B 2018-10-17 om 13.29.29.jpg

• Staff

Hi Elsea :)

This doesn't seem quite right, I've tested this with a .CR2 RAW (31.6MB), developed and saved as a .afphoto the file is 160MB, which is to be expected.

Could you please upload a copy of your RAW file and the .afphoto file to the link below?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/ITfnu2TQrZOmKwbrGgbm

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

AP File size developed images (400MB)

This is typically because developed raw images are processed to 16-bit - it offers more precision but increases file size exponentially. Before you save your .afphoto file, you might try the following:

Go to Document > Colour Format > RGB (8 bit) to convert the image to 8-bit and save file space.
Go to View > Studio > Snapshots to bring up the snapshots panel. You should see an initial "Background" snapshot. Delete this as it's essentially a backup copy of your image that takes up file size space.

7 hours ago, Dan C said:

Hi Elsea :)

This doesn't seem quite right, I've tested this with a .CR2 RAW (31.6MB), developed and saved as a .afphoto the file is 160MB, which is to be expected.

Could you please upload a copy of your RAW file and the .afphoto file to the link below?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/ITfnu2TQrZOmKwbrGgbm

I deleted almost every file this afternoon. I found a backup of the file later so I've sent twice some files to your link. Thank you!

2 hours ago, mikerofoto said:

AP File size developed images (400MB)

This is typically because developed raw images are processed to 16-bit - it offers more precision but increases file size exponentially. Before you save your .afphoto file, you might try the following:

Go to Document > Colour Format > RGB (8 bit) to convert the image to 8-bit and save file space.
Go to View > Studio > Snapshots to bring up the snapshots panel. You should see an initial "Background" snapshot. Delete this as it's essentially a backup copy of your image that takes up file size space.

A few files I converted to 8-bit, I will look into the snapshot you mentioned to see what kind of difference it will make. Thank you!

• Staff

Thanks for your files, I've looked through and most of this is to be expected. When developing images into 32bit we expect the file size to be much larger, and as mikerofoto has mentioned converting the file to 8bit and deleting the snapshot will reduce the file-size drastically.

I developed your Basics image into 16bit without making changes and saved the file at 217MB. I then converted the file and deleted the snapshot and saved it as a new file at 54.3MB.

I'd recommend reading the following thread, as our developers went into great detail regarding our proprietary file size :) 

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)