You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

FIle size too big? Place in picture frame?

Hello good people. I'm thankful for having Publisher, and I hope to replace inDesign with Publisher soon.

Right off the bat, with just8 linked images and nothing else, file size is 78Mbs, while the exact same InDesign file is just a couple of Mbs. Images are big 5k x 4k, and file size is big 2k pix x 15k pix. Now, I'm not saying that this is some sort of a big problem, but why does it make such big files, what for?

Another thing is regarding sending images to AP for adjustments. I noticed I can't copy/paste between Publisher and AP. At this point we don't know what will Vector and Photo persona do within Publisher, but it would be nice to have some sort of tool/option that sends images from Publisher to AP or AD and opposite for fine tuning. In InDesign this feature is called "edit in..." and it gives you the option in which software do you want to open your image and you access it by right-clicking on an image.

Now this is something important. What is unique in Publisher in comparison to other Affinity apps beside other things is Picture Frame tool. This tool behaves differently than usual item mask or clipping mask that we use in AP and AD. I wish there is an option that allows me to place or import or simply drop images directly in Picture Frame. In inDesign all images that get imported by any means are automatically within Picture Frame. Right now I have to manually place all images into Picture Frame which is fine for small amount of images but gets time consuming if there are many images.

Picture Frame tool. It is a bit clumsy because as soon as I move the image within the Picture Frame, the frame itself resets the properties from auto scale to none. And from that point there is no way to scale the image, but I have to click again to the frame properties in the navigation bar at the top and change the scale option in order to continue scaling my image. This is way too complicated and unnecessary. Also, there is one option missing: fit frame to image. If you ask me the entire thing in the frame properties should be called image fitting and not scaling. Because why would you not want to scale the image. What you may or may not want could be rather about fitting the frame to an image and image to the frame as opposed to scaling it.

Thank you for reading.

3 hours ago, Mandu said:

why does it make such big files

This is a known bug in the linked image implementation and the team is working on it.

3 hours ago, Mandu said:

sending images to AP for adjustments

These problems are likely due to the publisher beta being version 1.7 and the other programs still being at 1.6.  I would expect integration to start working once the 1.7 betas of photo and designer are available.  In another thread it was suggested that this is expected to happen later this year, but this is not guaranteed - just a current expectation.

3 hours ago, Mandu said:

simply drop images directly in Picture Frame

You can do that - you can drag image files from the Finder (or Windoze Explorer) into a picture frame.

See also: