You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Batch Job/Macro/Cropping Error & workflow question

Hi, 

First of all, Ive been having issues with affinity photo freezing/crashing with a simple batch job processing to jpg with only one macro (with only one cropping action applied). i think this should be a bug.

secondly, The results from the cropping in macro is different than when its applied on batch processing. while recording the macro, i choose costume ratio of 4x3 and it crops center of image in a way that only two sides of image (either left and right, or up and down) are cropped out. but when its applied by batch processing, it gives me strange results as sample image below (either keeping the top left of the image and cropping out huge margin from the rest of the image.

Thirdly, Im trying to figure out recording the following processes on a macro but somehow i cant figure it out. Is there anyone that could help me with step by step process of this or is it not possible.

1. apply costume ratio Cropping
  2. Resizing the document to certain dimension say, 1600x1200 
  3. Adding 5% white border around the photo 
  4. Adding watermark or logo on an exact location

Batch Processed Result.jpg

Original Photo Example.jpg

Result while cropping Manually.jpg

• Staff

We are aware of some issues regarding our Batch processing and Macros, some relate or are similar to the steps you're wanting to do or issues you have found. These have been passed over to the developers to look into. For the moment it would be best to do these steps manually, but this will obviously be more time consuming. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/17/2018 at 4:02 PM, Lee D said:

For the moment it would be best to do these steps manually, but this will obviously be more time consuming. 

Not sure if i should laugh or cry of that kind of answer. 

BTW, mid January 2019, is the issue fixed? Cause i've got 250+ photos to batch/macro/crop and manually is not even an option.

Thx

Art Director at Tribu And Co | French web agency - See our work at http://www.tribu-and-co.fr

29 minutes ago, Aaron Martin said:

I’ve tried some batch processing with 1.7, it still acts weird. Although i dont expect it to work properly since its beta, but i hope it fixed on final version. 

Not sure those things have been fixed/touched so far at all, especially macro handling, look into the beta version thread top release notes which might tell.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Have you tried using Document > Crop Canvas and Layer >  Rasterize in the macro following the Cropping?  Your problem may be because the resizing is being applied to the entire canvas despite your cropping it.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

The cropping via a macro works for me on a Mac, I've also tend to say better let the batch process do the image resize (w/h) than the macro. Adding a border via the macro should probably also work (though didn't tested that). The problem will be more adding a watermark on a exact location here, since macros don't take dynamically the actual image size into account. Meaning when you record the watermark positioning, always the static image dimensions w/h during the initial macro recording are used, thus exact positioning isn't really possible for images of different sizes.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

59 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

The problem will be more adding a watermark on a exact location here, since macros don't take dynamically the actual image size into account. Meaning when you record the watermark positioning, always the static image dimensions w/h during the initial macro recording are used, thus exact positioning isn't really possible for images of different sizes.

This dimension/ratio is of course a problem in macros and could be only avoid with a really SMART-logic or dimension-recomposer by hand.... So long their is no such thing, best would be if you create your macro several times for at least landscape/potrait (better for 10:15;  8:6; 12:7... and so on)  If you do not like to do it "several" - well, i create all my macros in a square... its not perfect in the end, but mostly you got a usable result, much better than a landscape-macro to a portrait or viceversa...

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

22 minutes ago, Polygonius said:

This dimension/ratio is of course a problem in macros and could be only avoid with a really SMART-logic...

No there is usually no magic or smartness for this for the implementation, when recording a macro just don't store w/h as constants or fixed values here inside the macro. Instead use  placeholders to routine calls, which then always will obtain from an actual active document the size via "getWidth/getHeight" dynamically. So when the macro is executed/replayed sizes will always be actual new determined from the document in use (aka dynamically fetched).

31 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Instead use  placeholders to routine calls, which then always will obtain from an actual active document the size via "getWidth/getHeight" dynamically. 

What do you mean exactly? Lets say i macro a sqaure from X/Y = 0 to Y/X = max. How to placeholder this? This will not be the same square in landscape/portrait or in different dimensions... The macro will take for shapes absolut values, no "relative"! Piixel-layers will better "fit",so i guess its relative,  but shapes.... i-do not-know.

So, do you have a tip, how simple a square will always fit, and nope, the fill layer is no solution... i want a regular shape?????

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

34 minutes ago, Polygonius said:

What do you mean exactly? Lets say i macro a sqaure from X/Y = 0 to Y/X = max. How to placeholder this? This will not be the same square in landscape/portrait or in different dimensions... The macro will take for shapes absolut values, no "relative"! Piixel-layers will better "fit",so i guess its relative,  but shapes.... i-do not-know.

So, do you have a tip, how simple a square will always fit, and nope, the fill layer is no solution... i want a regular shape?????

I meant in general as the macro implementation actually is, the way how it seems to be programmed.

Die Makroimplementierung so wie sie z.Zt. in APh programmiert ist, benutzt bei der Makroaufzeichnung quasi immer die festen initialen Grössenwerte (w/h) des Dokumentes in dem das Makro aufgezeichnet wurde, so wie Konstanten. Anstatt diese jeweils immer dynamisch zu ermitteln. - Daher ist es momentan nicht wirklich möglich ein generisches Makro für die Platzierung von Wasserzeichen oder dergleichen zu erstellen.

2 hours ago, Polygonius said:

Thank you kvr!

Aber im prinzip, was ich sagte: Es gibt DERZEIT keine möglichkeit für "universelle" Macros. Muss halt jeder für sich selbst entscheiden, ob/wie er damit umgehen gedenkt!

Ja leider, alles andere hier ist ansonsten meist nur Rumgefrickel um die Unzulänglichkeiten und beschränkten Möglichkeiten (oder Fehler) der Makro-Implementierung zu umgehen. Und bis dato sehe ich irgendwie nicht das daran überhaupt irgendetwas grossartig geändert wurde.