You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

slow exposure look by stacking files

No flowing water out here so I used the 50kph wind through the trees instead using the little Panorama Fz300.
Was a rather flat cloudy day with lots of red dust in the air.
1st pic] one file around .8 sec exposure through a hoya variable ND filter -- was one of a 3 file hrd set
1456070974_20181003395one.6secexp.jpg.948de8684a76b814b79d9ff632aabac8.jpg
2nd pic] a stack of 7 files at 1/80 sec exp. At that shutter speed it could do handheld .
1010853120_201810033937filestack1-80.jpg.efde86baf42148e212bf4c1bd6e5b387.jpg
3rd pic] one of the 7 used in the stack
P1140318.jpg.ef08ecfdefdb35bcac1cba9ff8c3cbd1.jpg
These were recorded at 12fps -- I'm thinking a slower rate would be better for this subject . Or more files
All explained very well as usual by James in this video .

manual exposure and focus may have been a smart idea (??)
Questions and your thoughts very welcome

Pic #2 is described as 'stack of 7 files'. Is this the mean, median or what of the stacked images? I would guess mean, but other options are available.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

7 photos were taken in high burst mode >those 7 photos were opened in Ap >file >new stack >add >Ok --- Affinity worked it's magic and produced the 2nd image which I then edited as a single photo  . 
That explain it better John ? 
Thanks for your interest :)

I would guess that you have the mean option, since that is the default for a stack. Looking at #2 close up, the foliage against the sky looks very messy, with no detail. Compare with #3, where the definition is much better. These leaves waving in the wind are practically imposible to align, and taking the mean is meaningless! It may be worth while looking at the other options for the stack (median, maximum, minimum) to see if they look any better, but I doubt it. 

Really, this kind of subject matter is not really susceptible to improvement by stacking (my considered opinion, not written in stone).

Landcapes involving water are good subjects for this. Waves, ripples and waterfalls have all been given this treatment. Many people (but not me) like this effect.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Not sure they  were thinking some mug would use stacking for trees/leaves photos :lol: . Was all very much guessing and clicking . No running water here unless an unlikely storm blows through so the only option for something moving were the leaves . I'm thinking I might try the idea using time lapse and passing clouds. Time lapse! -- that's going to be something new  . 
Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I would guess you are in Oz, given the sandy background to your donkey, what looks like Gum Trees in your pics and not much water there. If you want to see one benefit of stacking, take a series of photos of somewhere with people coming and going (not too many). If you then stack the images using the median blend, you will find all the passers-by disappear.

I have my doubts about stacking clouds, but I would be interested in seeing the outcome.

John

Thanks for the people tip John -- I might run out for battery power trying that :)
Yep; thanks to the Gods and nature I'm Oz --- Mildura; far north west victoria --  wish I wasn't but that is a longer story ;) . There is plenty of flowing water in Oz, but not just here. The closest I know of is around 400km to the south; in fact the nearest "hills" are 300 km away.   Average  rainfall here is 12''/300mm per year but we are a very long way short of that this year -- if the Murray river wasn't here neither would Mildura and while you settle into winter we have leap-frogged straight into summer with 36/38/38c for the next 3 days . 40c++ is not far away :( .
cheers; thanks for the interest in the thread