You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

File place - missing fonts in PDF

As a magazine publisher, we receive PDF files from customers who use fonts we don't have installed on our PCs. If we open or place one of these PDFs into a document, we don't want it to replace the font as this can have unpredictable results. We need to be able to keep the integrity of the document so it looks exactly as the client intended. We can do this in InDesign, as it uses the embedded fonts within the PDF document.

The reason we switched to InDesign from Page Plus was because of this issue and it looks like it's not been sorted for Affinity Publisher. 

I had big hopes for this product and would love to start using Serif over Adobe again but this seems to be one issue which you cannot resolve. 

Your comments/advice would be appreciated.

At the moment there is no passthrough PDF functionality available. Probably will not be in release version, later though.

You can try printing a PDF to .ps file and place that. There have been reports that fonts are then converted to curves and import well to Publisher. Alternative is to convert to pixel format and suffer the lower quality. Or you can ask customers to convert fonts to curves in export (now that would be a mess..)

It is all extra work though.

Thanks Fixx for the update and the tip about .ps file. It is a workaround but isn't ideal.

I think this issue could put a lot of commercial users off using Affinity Publisher - I certainly wouldn't consider using it over InDesign until it's sorted on the release version.

Comment from Serif support would be appreciated. 

• 8 months later...
42 minutes ago, simoncox said:

Now we have the first edition out is there any movement on this issue? I also publish magazines and pull advertising PDFs into the layout - want to get off Quark as soon as I can but this is a big issue.

No.