You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

My name is John, I am a graphic designer from Greece and I have recently bought Affinity Photo and Designer as well and I am looking forward to the Affinity Publisher release.

I am new in working with Photo and Designer and until now I am very pleased.

Recently I realized that there are no dictionaries for the languages. It would be great to include dictionaries for languages in order to have spelling and grammar and also hyphenation.

Especially I am interested for Greek dictionary where I could have spelling and grammar and of course hyphenation.

Maybe it is not that necessary in Photo and Designer but in Publisher it is essential because if I want to make a book and the Greek language is not supported how can I format the text properly?

A book needs justify left alignment and hyphenation in order for the text to be readable and of course spelling and grammar so that you can make corrections.

I hope that I was understandable and I hope that you include dictionaries at least in Affinity Publisher but I think that the other apps too should have them.

• Staff

Hi John,

You can add more dictionaries into the Affinity apps as we use Hunspell which you can download from here. They install into the following locations for macOS and Windows.

Windows: C:\Program Files\Affinity\Publisher Public Beta\Resources\Dictionaries

macOS: ~user~/Library/Spelling - each language gets its own folder with a name like en_UK.

5 hours ago, Lee D said:

Windows: C:\Program Files\Affinity\Publisher Public Beta\Resources\Dictionaries

Or, perhaps better for Windows, into the directory shown on the Tools section of the Preferences, by default it is:

image.png.fad28b690b62c8e05e2fc309415748bd.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

21 minutes ago, Ioannis Garderis said:

For Publisher it works fine but for Photo and Designer the Greek language is not recognizable

Which directory (or directories) did you paste into? Unless you used the common one shown in the Preferences, you'd have to paste into separate directories for each application.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Interesting. For Publisher, the Greek dictionaries that @Lee D mentioned here work just fine. They are in a folder named el_GR and have names with el_GR in them.

For Photo and Designer the dictionaries also work for me, but only if I change the directory name to el-GR and the file names from el_GR to el-GR, too. I'm not sure why. Perhape Lee or someone else will be able to comment.

-- Walt
PC:

I have changed the folder and the files in it from el_GR to el-GR, paste it in C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Common\1.0\Dictionaries and now in Publisher the language works fine as before with spell check and hyphenation and it also works in both Designer and Photo but without hyphenation because from what I 've seen it is not included in these two apps. 

Thank you very much