You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pasting data from Excel only fills first cell

I was trying to drop in some data from Excel in Publisher (1.7.0.145 on Mac OSX High Sierra) and no matter how many cells I select it only pastes the data into the first cell.

I thought maybe this was maybe how its supposed to work but looking at this post I see that @carl123 is using Windows it works this way but not on Mac for some reason.

Raising it here just in case its a bug.

• 1 month later...

I've been trying to import data from excel into Publisher on a Mac this morning and have the same issues. No matter what I try I have the same result.  I hope Publisher will be a better option for creating catalogues and price lists for my small business. Without the ability to import data from existing excel files this will be a nightmare switch for me.  I really hope this feature can be added or fixed for the Mac version soon. If it is, this software will be the winner. :)

3 hours ago, sdkeys said:

I've been trying to import data from excel into Publisher on a Mac this morning and have the same issues. No matter what I try I have the same result.  I hope Publisher will be a better option for creating catalogues and price lists for my small business. Without the ability to import data from existing excel files this will be a nightmare switch for me.  I really hope this feature can be added or fixed for the Mac version soon. If it is, this software will be the winner. :)

Try opening your file in Apple Numbers, copy the data and then select two cells in the first row of the table in Publisher and paste. I tried this the other week and it worked.

2 hours ago, icreate said:

Try opening your file in Apple Numbers, copy the data and then select two cells in the first row of the table in Publisher and paste. I tried this the other week and it worked.

Thanks so much for your reply icreate :)

I'll give that a go. I do hope that a workaround isn't necessary when this beta stage is over. I have a lot of price lists ready to go and value my time. I'm hopeful.

55 minutes ago, sdkeys said:

I do hope that a workaround isn't necessary when this beta stage is over.

It will still probably be necessary to highlight two or more cells of your Publisher table before doing the paste. That's what indicates you want to paste the data as a table.

The issue for Mac, I think, is that copying/pasting directly from Excel doesn't seem to work, even with multiple Publisher table cells selected. I think that does work on Windows (though all I can really test is copying from LibreOffice Calc, as I don't have Excel).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

14 hours ago, sdkeys said:

Thanks so much for your reply icreate :)

I'll give that a go. I do hope that a workaround isn't necessary when this beta stage is over. I have a lot of price lists ready to go and value my time. I'm hopeful.

Hope it helps - let us know how you get on, just in case someone else has the same problem. :)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.