You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A Curious Problem: .dmp Crash Report files being created even when the app does NOT crash!

I'm not even sure whether this is the correct forum to post this, since it hardly qualifies as a "bug", but:

I regularly run CCleaner, especially at the end of a working day.  One of the file types it highlights and suggests for deletion is any Memory Dumps/Crash Reports stored on the computer.  Several times recently I see CCleaner reporting that .dmp files have been created, either by Affinity Publisher Beta (latest version) or by the included Help files, even though neither app has actually crashed for me.  I've tended to ignore these files and simply selected to delete them; APub always opens on the next time of asking, no message about Errors or Crash Reports.

However, I wonder whether one of these reports might be useful to the developers in possibly diagnosing why such reports are being created (normally at least one every day) even when Publisher itself is rock-solid and has never, to my knowledge, actually crashed on my machine!  Hence, they are attached below.

If anyone can suggest why they are being created (in effect it's every time I run APub) I'd be delighted to learn!

TIA

Jeff

Publisher_exe.1652.dmp

Help_exe.10536.dmp

Edited by emmrecs01
Correct spelling

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

@Chris_K

13 minutes ago, Chris_K said:

Thanks emmrecs01

We shall take a look at them but if the app itself is still working fine than I;m sure it's nothing to be worried about. Thanks for letting us know though

Yes, the app is still working fine.  I guess it's just my curiosity as to why it should be creating these Memory Dumps/Crash Reports when it's not actually crashing! It seems to happen every time I use APub (I need to verify this by more careful checking) so is a very strange situation.

Thanks again,
Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.