You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What's wrong with the wysiwyg post-editor on this forum?

Hi,

Last week and now I noticed it is taking forever to write a post with quotes in it: I don't know why, but everytime it happens I am not allowed to use line-feeds (enters) in the text, which is pretty annoying and makes it almost impossible to post something with quotes in it. This wasn't happening before and nothing changed on my system (all other websites and software are working great and there's nothing wrong with my keyboard.

When this happens (linefeeds/enters not working) it's pretty impossible to post on the forum.

Anybody having the same problems? Something changed on the forum? Any advise on what to avoid to stop the 'enters' to stop functioning?

Thanks!

For me, when the posting interface works oddly like I usually notice that the arrow keys aren't working, and it means that I have a hand-built smiley that I haven't finished, and the interface is waiting for me to finish it so it can figure out what I mean. I.e., I type a : followed by a ) but do not follow that with a space before I try to do something else. At that point the interface goes a bit wonky.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

yep, noticed with the cursor keys and the Enter/intro. Like with other implementations in any entry field on any web or desktop app (or most of them) try shift + enter instead. It tends to work there where intro is blocked. Sometimes also with the cursor (just remember to release shift soon, as cursor+shift selects text) The smileys thingy is another bug. If u insert a smiley that triggers its library, be sure to hit space key, as otherwise you'll be typing somewhere else, later :D 

Indeed, the shift + enter thing I think is provided in most libraries to be able to differentiate from actual overall page or browser capturing of the enter key.

I miss seeing actual post code view button, or html editing (but yeah, that's often a security hole), for further/complex editing. But nothing is worse that missing the cursor keys. All in all, I vote for ZERO work on the forum if it removes even a 0.00002 millisecond of work on Affinity, or for the peace or mind and relax time needed for the "brain batteries" to focus on actual Affinity power. My 2c of the bitcoins I don't have.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

17 minutes ago, SrPx said:

I miss seeing actual post code view button,

Not sure what you mean by that.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Not sure what you mean by that.

at some forums, you have a button to edit the code underneath the post (actually, in reality is PHP and some library, but you get what I mean), the one that generates the actual post. Sometimes is only just BBcode, other times is pure HTML.  :)
Not really needed now, tho.

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

• Staff

Hi all,

We are aware of this and has already been logged with Invision Community, our forum provider. 

15 hours ago, SrPx said:

at some forums, you have a button to edit the code underneath the post (actually, in reality is PHP and some library, but you get what I mean), the one that generates the actual post. Sometimes is only just BBcode, other times is pure HTML.  :)
Not really needed now, tho.

We have got the "Source" button:

image.png

Thanks,

Gabe. 

9 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

We have got the "Source" button

“We” being moderators, presumably. We ordinary mortals don’t have that:

2FA7E5D4-B564-42E6-8990-714D1EEA21A5.thumb.jpeg.c8ff9921163ef306a915b1d5647c487b.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

it's highly unimportant, anyway  :)

Thanks a lot for responding guys.

Yesterday I was pretty busy and just couldn't have this on top of that, so that was the reason I opened this thread because I figured I am probably not the only one facing this issue and I'd rather ask about it instead of being annoyed about it everytime :)

But in no means I thought Affinity is programming this forum and put time to fix something in the forum. I agree completely all the time should go to the products instead (especially Designer I'd say). That said, I'm glad @GabrielM responded that they informed the forum-creator about it. Would be great to work with quotes and stuff without this enters-aren't-working-anymore issue. I feel pretty stuck in a small room when that happens :51_scream:

@SrPx Thanks for the tip about shift+enter. I use it a lot on websites and in software like Word and I believe in Designer too. So I probably tried shift+enter to avoid the problem. But next time it happens I'll try again ;)

@Wosven Yes, I think it happens with me when quoting. I also move quotes around with the move-icon on the top left. Maybe that has something to do with it. I didn't use smilies on the last post where it happened, so I don't believe that was 'my' issue.

@GabrielM The 'source' button is indeed only visible for you moderators, not for us. It mostly isn't such a great idea to let visitors enter code. Although I agree that I would have it open everytime to see what's going on to fix my own post ;)