You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AD change size of artboard

I've created a new document. Made some artwork and now want to resize the artboard, to a specific size (which isn't the same size as my artwork). How do I do this?

I've gone to the Help menu and followed the instructions:

Selected the Artboard Tool, but how do I select the artboard? I've tried double clicking in the artboard, but just lots of green and red lines appear. I can't see an artboard in the layers panel.

Perhaps this isn't an artboard, but a page? Do you have to make an artboard first, or does a new document come with an artboard?

29 minutes ago, Markeeee said:

Do you have to make an artboard first, or does a new document come with an artboard?

If you select the artboard tool you can draw the artboard wherever you want by clicking and dragging.

If you already have an artboard and want to change the size: select the artboard tool, select the artboard in the layers panel and than you can move/scale the boundaries of the artboard (blue lines with blue dots on the corners) in the viewport.

So if I create a new A4 document, this isn't an A4 artboard. There is a difference between a "page" and an "artboard"? Seems needlessly confusing.

I've just tried this. Created an A4 document (and didn't select 'Create Artboard'), then made an artboard using the Artboard Tool. The original A4 "page" thing, then disappears.

I think Illustrator is much better at this - less confusing - there isn't a difference between a document/page and an artboard.

Thanks for your help

When you create a new document you have a choice of creating an artboard or not. If you don't, you are simply creating your objects on the canvas, which is not an artboard.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1