You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Goodbye Procreate.. Hello Designer for iPad !!

kjs

Very nice! :-) I find my self drawing a little in AD pixel persona too, and its great! But still, I totally love Procreate for some things... Both AD and Procreate have different qualities which I love, so for me the combination and using the best of both is perfect tool :-) At least when Affinity will fix the .psd creation in their products so I can open them in Procreate :-) 

Procreate and Designer are my two go-to apps on my iPad. I use them professionally almost every day. I have a 12" iPad Pro1, (I update every other product cycle,) and the latest Procreate version runs circles AD in Pixel Persona especially when using textured large brushes. It's just more responsive and fluid. I just did a raster t-shirt design all in AD because I wanted to give it a shot, and it just had a bit too much lag for my taste when drawing. It wasn't a deal breaker, but it definitely made me miss using Procreate. I'm excited for the next new 12" iPad pro, hopefully it'll even the playing field a bit as I love the features in AD.

Yes, perhaps I'm being a bit hasty. Procreate is very nice.

But I am very impressed with AD's pixel persona and so far I haven't experienced any lag and I love the brushes that come with it.

I wish the studios would automatically collapse once I tap off of them to start painting. If you tap on the layers studio it doesn't collapse unless you tap on it again, where-as with procreate you can just tap on the screen anywhere and it will collapse it and then let you paint. In settings it has an "automatically hide UI" toggle but I can't tell what that even does. As far as I can tell it behaves the same whether that toggle is on or off. 

• 11 months later...

Procreate will support CMYK very soon.. but anyway.. 

if you are drawing in vector, you can add a node in your line and break it, and then erase the part you don’t want. But there is no eraser.. 

but then again.. comparing Procreate and Deaigner is a little strange.. it’s two different types of “drawing” 

couldn’t live without any of them, but for different projects :-) 

1 hour ago, curtds said:

Is there any way you can erase a line or part of a line while you are drawing in Affinity Designer?  I know you can do that in Procreate.  Thanks.

There is an Erase brush tool in The Pixel persona in Affinity Designer but only works on pixel brushes not vector, if you do use the eraser on vector it will be converted to a mask effect.

• 2 months later...
On 9/25/2019 at 11:33 AM, curtds said:

Thanks, I'll have to use a different vector app.

Curt

Vectornator Pro is a great vector app and it's free. They've recently introduced it to Mac now. So it's available on iPad and Mac. It's pure vector though. With Affinity Designer you get the flexibility of having raster layers. 

P.S. I take back what I said.. still love Procreate! As well as Affinity!