You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• 1 month later...

Hey, guys,

this option is also missing in my current workflow, I use it quite often.

I thought I might not have searched properly, but I think it is missing currently –
actually there are some other special characters missing, I guess.

Let's keep our fingers crossed that they will be implemented in some future versions. :35_thinking:

@machadodesign: Maybe add a few tags, so admins and users may find this request
easier/faster if they search for keywords.

Cheers
MrDoodlezz

2023_b.png.6eb47882072cc58253b7219526339b14.png

• 6 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hey Affinity guys,

can someone give us some details on this one?
Does this feature already exist under another name?
If not, will this feature be available sometime?

Got another case today where it would've been extremely helpful!

Greetings and thanks
MrDoodlezz :12_slight_smile:

2023_b.png.6eb47882072cc58253b7219526339b14.png

• 1 month later...
On 7/31/2019 at 10:36 PM, BlendBloke said:

Hi

It is not included right now in AD as far as I know. You can deal with it by using tab bar and drag bottom scroll (drag left indent excluding first line). I don't belive it can be set as a shortcut or automated but it works.

I'll have to test that suggestion but I don't think it's quite the same thing. With "indent to here" you can set up a bullet-point paragraph where you're already using the left indent to define the first chunk of text after the bullet, you then use a tab for a wrapping column further along, with an "indent to here" character at that tab point. That'd give you an effect as per:

image.png.572f00f0b3a11c3e6fd6552da0d8f716.png

(The above sample is a fudge in Publisher where the second column is a separate paragraph with a multi-line baseline shift; which isn't really useful but gives you an idea of how this would look. Indesign makes this super easy, and it's a layout approach I use in nearly all of my documents)

Windows 7 & 10 64-bit, Dual Xeon workstation(s) 64gb RAM, and single i7 laptop 32gb RAM

Thanks for the reply. I am sure that Affinity will have to address this and include it. It is early days I guess. I got caught out once, many years ago when using tabs in Quark Xpress rather than the equivalent indent which flows when the text changes position. In my case, the printer had a slightly different version of the typeface and so the bullet-pointed text reflowed leaving terrible gaps where the tabs were. I have never forgotten it. To my way of thinking it is a vital facility to have. Thanks for the ideas, people.

On 9/1/2019 at 10:22 PM, AndyQ said:

I'll have to test that suggestion but I don't think it's quite the same thing. With "indent to here" you can set up a bullet-point paragraph where you're already using the left indent to define the first chunk of text after the bullet, you then use a tab for a wrapping column further along, with an "indent to here" character at that tab point. That'd give you an effect as per:

image.png.572f00f0b3a11c3e6fd6552da0d8f716.png

(The above sample is a fudge in Publisher where the second column is a separate paragraph with a multi-line baseline shift; which isn't really useful but gives you an idea of how this would look. Indesign makes this super easy, and it's a layout approach I use in nearly all of my documents)

It seems to me you can get that layout by setting the main left indent to 75, the first line indent to 0, and in the Bullet section set the bullet Tabstop to 5. The drawback is that it doesn't update dynamically if something changes the position of the Indent to here character, but in this case you can change the left indent when you change the tabstop position.

3 hours ago, Dave Harris said:

It seems to me you can get that layout by setting the main left indent to 75, the first line indent to 0, and in the Bullet section set the bullet Tabstop to 5. The drawback is that it doesn't update dynamically if something changes the position of the Indent to here character, but in this case you can change the left indent when you change the tabstop position.

That does work to get the result as pictured above, and I could use that suggestion in a lot of cases, but the downside is flexibility as you'd require different styles for different situations. In the sample image I provided a "indent to here" character would let me set up a single bullet point text style that could act as "normal" bullet text, so it would wrap a long paragraph correctly that has no tabs or need for the "2nd column", however I could also have tab-stops set up for each column position and choose to start the second column at  any of those points depending on need. I'm certainly still yearning for an "indent to here" equivalent

Windows 7 & 10 64-bit, Dual Xeon workstation(s) 64gb RAM, and single i7 laptop 32gb RAM

The lack of this feature is rapidly becoming a make or break feature for me. I spent a ridiculous amount of time this morning trying to get a bullet list to wrap correctly around a photo and it is pretty much an impossibility in Publisher as it exists now. For some bizarre reason the space between the bullets and text wants to bounce around when the text is wrapping an irregular object. Why would the distance that is set not remain the same and the left edge just move over. Frankly I find more and more features in Affinity apps that leave me scratching my head trying to figure out the rationale they are using. Maybe it's a product of being on different sides of the pond, but I seriously doubt it. This seems like it would be such a quick fix. Can you guys please move this up the punch list?

Just now, machadodesign said:

The lack of this feature is rapidly becoming a make or break feature for me. I spent a ridiculous amount of time this morning trying to get a bullet list to wrap correctly around a photo and it is pretty much an impossibility in Publisher as it exists now. For some bizarre reason the space between the bullets and text wants to bounce around when the text is wrapping an irregular object. Why would the distance that is set not remain the same and the left edge just move over. Frankly I find more and more features in Affinity apps that leave me scratching my head trying to figure out the rationale they are using. Maybe it's a product of being on different sides of the pond, but I seriously doubt it. This seems like it would be such a quick fix. Can you guys please move this up the punch list?

Absolutely - can't see why this has dragged on for so long - it's been a feature request for over a year - can it really be that difficult to implement? I'd be interested to know what the hold up is.

3 minutes ago, breadesign said:

...I'd be interested to know what the hold up is.

You mean aside from the 10 bazillion other "it's gotta be a simple feature" or "this is such an absolutely needed feature" or "this is a make or break" types of demands upon Serif's time?

I cannot think of why these features cannot be "just added," can you?

@MikeW

The industry standard is ID. If you can’t emulate the basic functionality of ID fewer people will move over. So when something is mentioned by many people - and ‘appears to be’ a simple fix - then I would imagine I’m not the only one interested to know what the hold up is - or when (if) that feature will be added.

Pretty sure Affinity are well aware of users’ wants/needs - but are you suggesting we should all just shut up and wait for the company to decide what is relevant regarding feature requests? 

For the record - I’m rarely critical (or vocal) for the precise reasons you feel necessary to call me to account. 

I’m also pretty sure Affinity don’t need you to fight their battles - and I’m sorry if my comments annoyed you - but frankly that’s what forums are for - I’m frequently annoyed by comments, but I find it easier and less stressful to just walk on by. 

Have be a great day!

Not annoyed at all. Just amused.

And in no way am I suggesting anyone not speak their mind. I obviously do. And I also tell Serif what I think.

But I also have (somewhat) realistic expectations. ID has a twenty year head start. Right now APub has a few features ID didn't have for 1-3 release cycles. Now, would I have chosen a different mix of initial features or even implemented what is present differently? Sure. But it's not my rodeo and my choices are to await these needed features and use APub for what it can do, or simply use something else. 

And yes, also request yet more features, suggest changes to existing features, etc. But at the end of the day, only Serif knows what features will be added and when. They seldom or rarely divulge that roadmap. 

It took me a long time (15 years) to move from Quark Xpress to Indesign because when I first tried it (ID) as it was rubbish at a few things, mostly print problems as I recall, which was enough for me to stick with Quark, why not? But then we were talking about two one-off purchase products that only needed to be paid for when a (voluntary) upgrade was needed so they were direct competitors. The competition between Affinity and Adobe now is to do with licensing v subscription models and I can't justify paying a high monthly rate for upgrades/updates that I don't want or need - in fact they positively annoy me most of the time. So I will run them alongside each other and once I am assured that Affinity is here to stay and especially if I have to update my OS which will happen eventually and CS6 stops working. Then I will do whatever I can to avoid shifting to Creative Cloud and I hope that Publisher will have Indent to Here before then

4 minutes ago, marioncatlin said:

It took me a long time (15 years) to move from Quark Xpress to Indesign because when I first tried it (ID) as it was rubbish at a few things, mostly print problems as I recall, which was enough for me to stick with Quark, why not? But then we were talking about two one-off purchase products that only needed to be paid for when a (voluntary) upgrade was needed so they were direct competitors. The competition between Affinity and Adobe now is to do with licensing v subscription models and I can't justify paying a high monthly rate for upgrades/updates that I don't want or need - in fact they positively annoy me most of the time. So I will run them alongside each other and once I am assured that Affinity is here to stay and especially if I have to update my OS which will happen eventually and CS6 stops working. Then I will do whatever I can to avoid shifting to Creative Cloud and I hope that Publisher will have Indent to Here before then

Sounds familiar - pretty sure there are a lot of us in the same boat!

• 1 month later...